Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help me get back into Flight Simulation

Home made bush plane stick setup for MS2020 (apparently )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

My flightsim project is coming along nicely, will update in due time. In the meantime my PC is in need of more HDMI out ports. How to best achieve this? Buy another PCI graphics card with dual HDMI out? Or will a USB graphics card with HDMI out suffice? This will not be for large monitors, instead these HDMI ports will drive flight sim hardware (e.g. a GPS display). Thanks!

always learning
LO__, Austria

I happily use a j5create USB to dual HDMI adapter to drive monitors for avionics displays.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Panel upgrade ongoing :)

always learning
LO__, Austria

X-Plane 12 is out apparently.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It took me way too long (work, instructing, growing family) but my Sim setup is nearing completion. Goal is a usable sim for IFR training, pre real flying familiarization and abnormal/emergency drills. All while keeping the budget in check.

I started by purchasing a used PC from a university student who until then had used it for CAD modeling. It runs X-Plane 11 at around 30-40fps with graphics settings in the upper third, though the additional hardware (3 screens) seems to decrease the graphics card performance so actual FPS will be lower in the end.

Then I obtained some sim hardware.

Honeycomb Yoke/Throttles.

1x GFC500
1x GNS530
Used for non glass cockpit training

2x G1000 (PFD/MFD)
Used for glass cockpit training.

Many hours later I finally finished building a custom instrument stand/bezel from some leftover wood. A bit of filler, some sanding and black paint did the job, it looks better in reality than on the pic.

An old tv functions as the „outside view“ screen (showing mostly nothing in IMC anyway).

Then I had to find a way to arrange Yoke, Throttle, G1000 PFD/MFD Bezel and the „outside world“ screen.

A wooden board sits atop the yoke/throttle and two wooden rear pillars. The G1000 cluster is mounted atop/forward with metal angles. The tv screen acts as a counterweight at the rear. It has a very solid feel to it, nothing moves, but it is still quickly removable if required.

First test flight…

…now lots more work to configure all the settings and tweak everything, but I’m happy that it’s finally coming along.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 13 Sep 17:31
always learning
LO__, Austria

Looks really cool!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thanks Mooney, knew you’d like it!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hi @Snoopy,

What software are you using for G1000 simulation? Is there G3000 simulation software available?

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

I use X-Plane 11, it has a usable G1000 included
For the GNS530 either X-Plane or Reality XP.

For the G3000 I also have the TBM940 in MSFS, however the systems aren’t implemented with 100% accuracy.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 14 Sep 18:18
always learning
LO__, Austria
50 Posts
Sign in to add your message