Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iOS 7

I don't get that. I have used an Android with auto updating and don't see what they mean.

EGTK Oxford

As is usual with Apple, blindly updating to the new iOS invariably causes major problems with your device and any apps... In fact it wipes all apps and they have to be reloaded.. In my view if everything works on your iPad/iPhone don't upgrade... Eventually some apps will probably only work on iOS 7... But by then the bugs will be fixed.. Until then leave well enough alone

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

recommending that ‘Automatic Downloads' are switched off to stop possible in air problems.

That is a very strong recommendation for any computer that is used for anything of importance whatsoever. At work, we don't update anything on the computer that is used to run the accounts software, for example.

Also auto uploads create havoc with portable devices that have 3G capability. Suddenly, your Java thingy downloads a 30MB update. M$ windoze updates is another one. Adobe is another. Firefox... etc etc. One has to go through every potential app and disable the auto update feature.

In fact it wipes all apps and they have to be reloaded..

That is completely outrageous? Is that really so?

I have some apps on my Ipad which I cannot update, because later versions are feature-crippled. One of the is Memory Map, on which they disabled the ability to use one's old QCT maps. They may have put some of that back later but MM do not reply to any emails so I can't check it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I upgraded and everything seems to work well. JeppFD seems to have also been upgraded with some nice features (mostly interface improvements).

It didn't reload all apps either.

EGTK Oxford

As is usual with Apple, blindly updating to the new iOS invariably causes major problems with your device and any apps... In fact it wipes all apps and they have to be reloaded.. In my view if everything works on your iPad/iPhone don't upgrade... Eventually some apps will probably only work on iOS 7... But by then the bugs will be fixed.. Until then leave well enough alone

I upgraded to iOS 7 a few days ago and my apps were not wiped. So far seems like a decent upgrade to me.

EGSC

It didn't reload all apps either.

Well that's something I suppose....it did happen to my old iPad going to iOS 6....but my advice still stands....seems an unnecessary risk if everything is already working...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

JeppFD seems to have also been upgraded with some nice features...

Yes, but that's completely independent from iOS7. All the new features work under iOS6 as well.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Agreed, but I only just noticed.

EGTK Oxford

Unfortunately - I looked into this a while ago - there is no way, short of jailbreaking, to disable the various IOA and app update notifications.

And same for the periodic (daily?) communication which the device does with the Church of Jobs, to keep the Chief up to date with what is going on. The messages aren't big but they can trigger big daily charges, especially with roaming data packages.

The process for disabling this stuff on a jailbroken device is seemingly nontrivial, as far as I was able to determine from some of the hacker forums. I asked around how to do it, was rudely told to do a search, could not find anything, and that was as far as I was able to get.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message