Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to find software engineer jobs

@arj none of that surprises me

Life is a tradeoff between freedom, income and security The only way to get all three concurrently is to have your own business and be good (or lucky) at it. Few achieve it, and almost none of those achieves it for many years.

Geeks were never fashionable here. When I was in my 20s (late 1970s etc) your chances of success (with a girl, of course ) were vastly enhanced as “unemployed” versus “engineer”.

Re relocation, people who are seriously good don’t need to relocate, so they won’t. Back to my comment about freedom, income and security

One challenge with using people abroad is security (as in trust). You don’t really know who they are, and you can’t really check them out. Only over time can you be sure. So while I use people abroad, they never e.g. get the login to the DNS or the virtual server control panel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@David

I am probably not the right one to answer your question as I am a freelance developer, but the agencies I use here in Denmark also help finding permanent positions. But otherwise a look at my LinkedIN network quickly reveals open positions.

EKRK, Denmark

Thanks Michael. We don’t currently have anyone in Denmark so am not sure how the rates compare, etc. But you’re not the first person to tell me it’s basically all LinkedIn these days.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

David wrote:

So really this was just about asking some existing developers “hey, where would you go online if you wanted to find a new job?”

Just asked some of my present sw devs colleagues, the answer is “always LinkedIn”. The rates you mentioned they say are good, so they say the matter is with just formulating the right job desc that make the potential candidates bite… One guy mentioned that his previous employer offered Amazon voucher to the right candidates just for an interview re: job description. “Yes, you don’t like to work for us, what would you look for in the job description that would entice you to at least initiate a contact?”

EGTR

Peter wrote:

IME, the existing team will only ever recommend either nobody or somebody who is worse than they are Almost nobody wants to work among smarter people.

Thankfully that’s not my experience.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Not much to add to the above but I’ve never found it as hard to find good developers to work in the UK as in the last twelve months.

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Has anyone ever changed their country, for a job?

I know some people have done that but it tended to be for very highly paid career jobs. I’ve never seen anyone do it who does IT work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Has anyone ever changed their country, for a job?

I know some people have done that but it tended to be for very highly paid career jobs. I’ve never seen anyone do it who does IT work.

I have lived in 6 countries, and all my relocations were somehow related to my work, but none of them involved a true employment. I also know a few IT professionals who got properly established in remote work, then moved to a country with a nice climate and relatively low cost of living.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

Peter wrote: Has anyone ever changed their country, for a job? I know some people have done that but it tended to be for very highly paid career jobs. I’ve never seen anyone do it who does IT work.

I have lived in 6 countries, and all my relocations were somehow related to my work, but none of them involved a true employment. I also know a few IT professionals who got properly established in remote work, then moved to a country with a nice climate and relatively low cost of living.

Peter, I moved for a job internationally as well, not very higly paid (I actually lost in terms of money). I know of quite a few former colleagues and friends that moved for the job or with the job or the Ultranomad’s scenario – people started working remotely and the moved to a third country (sometimes more expensive).

EGTR

Has anyone ever changed their country, for a job

I’ve done five international moves, all but the last one paid for by my employer at the time. So yes.

LFMD, France
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message