Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ipad turns on when charging is started

Is there any way to turn off this stupid feature?

I have googled around and cannot find anything. One wonders why they did this.

If you have a powerful enough charger, the Ipad will still charge when turned on, but a) slower and b) it gets pretty warm when in a bump case.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s a backup mechanism for turning on in case of button failure.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Unbelievable.

What I would do is suppress the turn-on if a button is pressed when the cable is inserted.

Administrator

Switch off with charging cable already plugged…

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 May 07:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Sure, but that’s equally dumb because it requires the Ipad to be turned on if not on already.

I think this is another case of Jobs having a “great vision”, like no cursor keys on the keyboard I immediately replaced the keyboard with one which does have them; this was not possible (unless jailbroken) until after the man “departed”.

Administrator

Well @Peter I once had a device where that power knob was not working any more. So from that time I’m O.K. with that any device turns on automatically if power cord is connected. In case it shall just recharge I switch it off again and that’s it. The other way round would be disgusting, because there would be no other way to have the device turn on again.

Look at it like a safety feature. For example if the steel wire from the throttle handle disconnects or breaks the engine goes to full power. I had that once and did not complain. It’s just way better than if it was idling in that moment.

Last Edited by UdoR at 04 May 09:45
Germany

Solid push-pull throttle cables with no return spring are conventional in aviation. Rotax 912 engines with motorcycle derived Bing CV carburetors use a pull-only stranded cable because that’s what the carbs are designed to use – the sprung open throttle is a workaround due to using motorcycle parts. On a motorcycle it’d be sprung closed but as adapted for aviation use the sprung open setup versus sprung closed is the lesser of two evils.

Whether an iPad turns on when charging is of no particular consequence to me, it’s not something I’ve ever noticed. If it’s on charge the batteries won’t discharge regardless and now that I think about it I don’t normally turn my iPad or iPhone off, not more often than every six months or so. I’m advised by my Apple software engineer friend that the power use when in sleep mode is very low. It’s not enough to meaningfully affect charge time.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 May 15:00

This auto turn on is a really stupid idea.

In an aircraft installation, say in a holder, you just need to momentarily turn the aircraft power on, and the Ipad comes on, the battery runs down, so the next flight is done with a flat battery. So that flight is done with the battery being charged, which makes it get even hotter.

As a “safety feature for power button failure” this is dumb; they should have assigned a second button which turns the device on. Press for 30 seconds?

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message