Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Quoting posts

I have android and iPhone phones and have difficulty quoting other posts on this website. What is the correct technique.

EGLK, United Kingdom

sonoeuroga wrote:

I have android and iPhone phones and have difficulty quoting other posts on this website. What is the correct technique.

The automatic quote function does not work on android for me either. I just put the source code ( “smaller as” blockquote “larger as” to start a quote and correspondingly slash blockqoute) before and after the quotation and if necessary add “xxx wrote” before it by hand. I copy paste the quote.

The other variant is to use the quotation symbol which generates “bq.” and a filler quote you can overwrite, then copy/paste. You need two lines before and two after for that to work.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The bq. method does not need two blank lines around the line; just one. And if the post starts with the bq. then no blank line is needed before.

Otherwise, to use the auto-quote function, this varies with browsers etc. I doubt this can ever be solved for ever. Eventually Browser X version 14.3 running under OSX version 25.9 comes along and breaks it.

This may help.

Personally, I just type the bq. and then copy/paste the required text. Then a blank line, then I type the response.

I changed the thread title from “quoting posts” to “Quoting posts”. Not sure if that is a different issue, especially as phones normally auto-capitalise at the start.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Otherwise, to use the auto-quote function, this varies with browsers etc. I doubt this can ever be solved for ever. Eventually Browser X version 14.3 running under OSX version 25.9 comes along and breaks it.

I don’t think this is a browser issue, but rather an Android issue. I also have never got autoquote to work on Android. I’m using Chrome on the Android but autoquote works when I use Chrome on a Mac.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message