Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A video with dynamic subtitles or a GPS moving map insert

Sorry for my late reply, I was busy the last days.

The Skyvector link is just a forum thread. I must be missing something.

Well I was not sure what your problem with the tiled map approach was, but then I realized it was maybe because itwas no aviation map. I thought I read your wish for using GoogleMqps before, but maybe I mixed something. Hence my idea was to use the tile server of SkyVector, which should be OK, as rendering a video is not more traffic than viewing a routing. But I realized there was already a thread about bulk downloading the SkyVector map (which is not really what I was proposing) and a reference for a commercial setup to download the SkyVector map.

Nevertheless to follow up your points:

a moving map (auto scrolling or not)

Is the basis of my proposed solution

north up

Should be a one line removal in the code, as turing it around seems like an extra feature.

aircraft icon moving along, aligned to track

So it should move along, but the map remains still, OK then I got the whole idea wrong. I thought you want ownship centered. And that is definetely not the case in my solution, I see.

precisely real time (based on times in the GPX)

Definetely the case in my solution, as it is rendering the video directly based on the GPX.

running on-screen so can be captured to mp4

Not neccessary, as it directly renders to video, what I see as a large benefit.

Ok, so to try to elaborate further: What do you really desire, a still map, with a moving aircraft, or a moving map with a still centered aircraft?

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Peter wrote:

One could make it really slick and have an insert with a moving map in it…

I have to correct myself, this functionality is actually possible with RaceRender, if you have the Ultimate Edition. The following video shows it in action.

Their own iOS/Android app generates CSV data, but RaceRender supposedly also accepts NMEA and GPX data.

Digging out this old thread:

Let’s say you have a GPS track (GPX, KML, etc) and an mp3 sound track, what is the easiest way to create a video with this, with the perspective of a plane flying that route, on Google Earth?

I’ve seen it done e.g. here and just maybe there is a dead easy method.

The method I know is to feed the GPS data into a flight sim and record the movie (there are various screen recording programs out there) and then drop the sound track under it in the video editor. Not simple…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would ask the person who did the Kobe FR24 youtube video how he did it…

This is complicated:

Last Edited by Snoopy at 30 Jan 21:10
always learning
LO__, Austria

Well found! There is also what claims to be a later version. I will give this a go.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
75 Posts
Sign in to add your message