Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Site Improvements (merged)

It’s funny, we’ve been trying this new editor for weeks and was generally pretty happy with it, but now I realise that the line spacing is wrong. Shall fix that first!

No rest for the wicked ! If you could fix the ‘recent threads’, that’ll be great. Cheers!

WOW, now THAT was quick !!! Kudos ! Works.

May I suggest that everybody reads Posting Tips.

As David says, perhaps the biggest change from the previous one is preserving hard line breaks. This affects text you type in, in that it is no longer necessary to enter a blank line to get a line break. A lot of people had trouble with this, when entering in some text which was intended to be a table of some sort, pressing Submit and not checking what the result looked like. But also text pasted from a PDF normally comes with a hard line break after every line, so such pasted text should look like it looks in the PDF. Handy for quoting EASA documents Note that not every pasted text has hard line returns; for example if you type up a Word document and do a copy/paste into our edit box, you may get the text reflowing. Most of the time one does want the text reflowing… so please check your posting after you click Submit. This stuff is not specific to EuroGA – there are pros and cons to any given method of doing this.

You also have an Italic button now –

The bold, underline and italic buttons work on one paragraph at a time. Specifically they do not work across blank lines, but they do work across hard line breaks e.g.

line1
line2
line3

Applying italics across multiple paragraphs is possible using the HTML italic tags < i > and < /i > (without any spaces between the pointed brackets). Italics are a good way to distinguish text quoted from outside e.g.

The European Parliament,

– having regard to the draft Commission implementing regulation (D028112/02),

– having regard to Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 February 2008 on common rules in the field of civil aviation and establishing a European Aviation Safety Agency, and repealing Council Directive 91/670/EEC, Regulation (EC) No 1592/2002 and Directive 2004/36/EC, and in particular Article 8(5) thereof,

– having regard to the opinion delivered on 12 July 2013 by the committee referred to in Article 65 of the above regulation,

The next big change is that the Quote button now works across multiple paragraphs. Please do not abuse this… if we get people quoting huge long chunks of text, it will make the forum very tedious to read – like some others. Keep quotes relevant to what you will be commenting on underneath.

Another change is the way video URLs are processed. Youtube especially has caused a lot of trouble. The Youtube site seems capable of generating a multitude of URLs for the same movie. We have always asked people to use the Share URL but most people had a problem with finding it, and ended up posting the full URL from the browser. This should now work, but you may still need to chop off tails like “feature=youtu.be” in a URL like this http ://www. youtube.com/watch?v=oAXXnPeHDUE&feature=youtu.be although that URL will now actually work but the tail will appear as text underneath it. Vimeo is easy in comparison – just one short URL.

As before, video URLs can be dropped straight into your post. Do not use the image button to insert them. You can insert them with the movie button but it doesn’t do anything different to just dropping the movie URL straight into your text.

Last Edited by Peter at 07 Nov 12:44
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hugely unhappy with certain changes:

• I do most of my postings from an ipad. No more access to all previous buttons like quote, underline, link, preview.
  • the layout on the iphone is very inefficient in terms of vertical space. Lots of space is “wasted” by the avatars and user details at the end of every post.
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This is a nice upgrade! Congrats on the results. It feels like a major panel upgrade
Same same, but different.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

Nice from a PC, will it work on a smartphone?

EBST

Nice upgrade – thanks.

Any chance of tweaking the contrast? When writing a post, everything black, but reading what’s posted is greyish.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the update!

I like the new colours and the post posting/formatting controls.

The only bit that I don’t like is the new home page. I find it harder to scan which topics have new postings. Of course they are all there, but the amount of space for each one means its harder to scan quickly (as my eyes news to move all over the screen rather than on only a small section like before).

To see which ‘threads’ are active, I need to click the “More button” and then “most recent threads”. This is a lot less slick than the previous recent threads section that was on the old front page.

Even this “most recent threads” section isn’t ‘comfortable’ to read, as the heading for each thread is given to the “Forum”. I don’t really care which forum the thread is, and think it would be easier to read if that piece of info was left out.

Looking at the home page, it seems as if the space that was previously occuppied by the “recent threads” on the bottom right under “latest articles”, is still actually free. Perhaps you could consider adding that bit back in?

I don’t mean to sound negative; the changes are very positive….I’m just nothing the one thing that I find less easy than before

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Am I the only one who had a Windows 8 moment??

The boxes with recent threat’s I find confusing and it is difficult to follow a threat / check out what’s new, with several boxes referring to the same discussion.The old lay-out I found very intuitive and it “looked like a forum” with the well known structure. Was anything wrong with the more traditional look?

EGTR

It is not always possible to provide a URL link to a document or graphic. It would be a nice to either be able to upload documents or graphics in such cases.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message