Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Site Improvements (merged)

I agree. Even if it is speculation, it helps to think through different scenarios that one might otherwise never come up with.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The only recommendation I have is to add the Active Threads, Latest Posts, Mine, Watched, and Bookmarked links to the bottom of the view. I know it is only one additional step to get to the top of the view, but it still takes extra time and scrolling. Other popular websites such as BeechTalk have this and it is a nice convenience.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

The only recommendation I have is to add the Active Threads, Latest Posts, Mine, Watched, and Bookmarked links to the bottom of the view

That would be great, especially for those, like me, who have 50 posts per page.
Well, I would only use it of course, it it pointed to https://euroga.org/forums/recent-threads?nostickies=1, otherwise I’ll keep just typing e and then enter in the google chrome bar.

On the active threads, it would also be nice to have a go to “last post” of a thread (If you are logged in, and you have read everything, the “new” doesn’t appear, and then if you want to go back to something you have already read, you have to click, got to the first post of the thread, then click on last page, then scroll to the bottom (or use the “End” key, if using a real keyboard)

The Like button feature was discussed previously and I am still completely undecided whether it is a good idea on EuroGA.

Other suggestions above are going on a list of things to do, which I think will be done at the same time as the airport database.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The only recommendation I have is to add the Active Threads, Latest Posts, Mine, Watched, and Bookmarked links to the bottom of the view. I know it is only one additional step to get to the top of the view, but it still takes extra time and scrolling. Other popular websites such as BeechTalk have this and it is a nice convenience.

This is now done.

For logged in users, it would be nice if the active threads view just worked as this link: https://euroga.org/forums/recent-threads?nostickies=1

This one is tricky. We know from google website analytics that most traffic goes straight to the Active Threads link and nowhere else. If the URL was changed as per above, those people would never see sticky threads. Yet, these are important. I know some don’t think they are important but this has to be weighed against the need for the site to run smoothly. So I’ve been trying to minimise their number. Also you can Hide a particular thread, including sticky ones, which AFAIK works until a new post is made to it.

The persistent issue with the blockquote is being looked at. It seems to be device-specific. It is a PITA for the mod to be frequently editing these posts.

Administrator

I meant if that worked that way (possibly with an opt in in preferences) for logged in users

OK; but that could lead to all the site “regulars” never seeing stickies.

When EuroGA started in 2012, we got requests from several people for a “hide user” feature. They didn’t want to see posts from a particular pilot (it wasn’t me ). We didn’t put that in, because it eventually leads to lots of people blocking lots of other people, often after reading even just a single post which annoys them.

Perhaps the issue is that the Active Threads link shows sticky threads even if that thread has been hidden by the (logged-in, obviously) user? I haven’t tested this.

Administrator

From here

Also, apparently you can edit your posts without getting the “Last edited” caption at the bottom of it :p

That’s a good point.

Ideally this should be implemented so that edits done within X minutes don’t display that string.

Since the purpose of the string is to make it apparent that the post has been edited the “totally correct” way to do this is to display that string only if the server log confirms no client (whether logged in or not) accessed the post I know sites which apparently do exactly that and in general it means you have to be really quick with your edit (seconds; maybe tens of seconds) and I don’t think most users would benefit from it.

Administrator

That makes this a very active forum if each of our posts is viewed within seconds !!

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message