Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hyperdesktop - an absolutely brilliant screen capture program

here

That’s what I use for the various screenshots here. It can automatically upload to imgur.com so after a few seconds you end up with the URL to the image on your windoze clipboard.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pity – F-Secure is blocking that web site. I am currently using SnagIt but that is payware.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

There is no reason to block that site. It contains a .exe for download but how dumb would one be to download a virus that way? It would mean that no .msi could be downloaded either. Virus checkers normally check every file created on the HD so the file will get checked when you download it.

I can email it to you but your AV will probably block the .exe as well.

Last Edited by Peter at 21 Nov 17:51
Administrator

Will try again tomorrow then

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I like skitch. It was mac only, but I see windows is supported: Skitch

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

The huge advantage of Hyperdesktop is the upload to imgur.com, and the automatic placing of the imgur URL onto your clipboard.

It took me about 10 seconds to do the little screenshot below

which completely transforms the way one can illustrate conversations, postings, emails, etc.

Imgur keeps images for 6 months after the last access.

Last Edited by Peter at 21 Nov 23:07
Administrator

To add to this old thread:

It turns out that the version of the program which is all over the net is at best buggy and at worst hacked – it works with imgur.com who appear to be its original sponsors, but is virtually impossible to configure to work with a different FTP site. It just crashes whatever I try.

But a later version has surfaced which works and is clearly not connected to imgur.com anymore. I am using it with my own FTP site for all current postings here. This means the images will never disappear. Imgur.com deletes images 6 months after they were last downloaded – we are not yet sure what impact this might have on older EuroGA postings because lots of people find the site and read old threads…

I have uploaded the fixed version on a private site so if anybody wants it, drop me an email. It is v 1.0.0.8.

I know there are millions of screenshot apps out there but this one is good because it

• saves the screenshot to a local directory (“folder” for post-msdos people )
  • uploads it to the specified FTP site
  • places the URL to the uploaded image on the clipboard

and I don’t know of another free app that does that. This is a huge timesaver.

Fairly obviously if you are using the program to upload to your own FTP site, you want to disable directory listing privileges on that directory, otherwise everybody can see all your other screenshots

FASTSTONE Screen Capture is a much better solution. It does all above. It isn’t free – about $20.

Administrator
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message