Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anybody fancies doing this for Windows 8? (disabling touch screen)

This touch screen disabling app works on win7 only.

I got somebody at work to look at the source and it appears to just flip a registry flag which does the job. But that flag doesn’t seem to exist (or work) on win8.

I have a great win8 Lenovo tablet but – like most tablets – it is hard to use because it is so easy to accidentally touch the touch screen.

That win7 app disables only the touch screen. It doesn’t disable the “digitiser” portion so you can still use the pen, which is really good. The old tablets, like the LS800, had only the digitiser which was usually what you wanted for in-flight use but not always and not being able to use your finger really slows down the user interface.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I won’t promise anything, but I’ll take a look at this in a few days when I’m back to Prague (I’m in the UK for an annual right now). However, I can propose a quick’n’dirty solution right away: wear gloves

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Interesting that with win8 appearing on a lot of new devices, with touch screens, there is still no “disable touch screen” software.

Administrator

With Ultranomad’s great help, I have solved the Lenovo Tablet 2 touch screen disable.

Using the Devcon utility, the two batch files described here do the job perfectly.

Actually I reduced them to just

devcon disable “HID\VEN_ATML&DEV_1000&Col01” (to disable touch)
devcon enable “HID\VEN_ATML&DEV_1000&Col01” (to enable touch)

It pretty well transforms the cockpit usability of this tablet, and takes it way beyond the Ipad on which killing the touch screen is possible only in apps that explicitly provide that function.

It took a while to make the 2nd one run at windows 8 startup (in case I lose the pen ). Unlike winXP, Win8 doesn’t simply run the contents of the Startup directory at startup – that must have been one of the major decisions of the Micro$oft “optimal user experience committee”

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Feb 04:40
Administrator
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message