Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Quoting text

Some posters are finding this a problem.

The simplest way to make it work is to copy/paste the text to be quoted into your message, then highlight it (by swiping it) and THEN press the Quote button

The message is then ready for Submit.

Make sure any text to be quoted is a paragraph on its own i.e. has a blank line before it and a blank line after it.

Another more manual way (see Posting Tips) is to put

bq.

(abbreviation for “blockquote”) in front of the text to be quoted. This is three characters: the “b”, the “q”, and the full stop (“period” in US-speak). Make sure the bq. is at the start of a line and make sure there is a space after it. Also make sure the bq. has a blank line before it – in other words the quoted text starts on a new paragraph.

That is what the Quote button does for you, if you press it with some text already highlighted (by swiping).

The bq. method is very quick because you just type bq. and a space and paste the text to be quoted after that. But it works on just one paragraph.

Another way, which works for multiple paragraphs, is this

<blockquote>
text to be quoted blha blah blah
more text to be quoted blha blah blah
</blockquote>

and again the Quote button will do that for you if you press it with multiple paragraphs of text highlighted. This method can be abused and results in unreadable threads because large blocks of quoted text are usually meaningless.

What some people are doing is that they are pressing the Quote button with nothing highlighted, and then the word “Quote” appears, which is meant to tell people that they can now type in (or paste in) their text to be quoted, but they do the additional (rather curious) step of un-selecting that “Quote” word, so it remains in the quoted text. And they end up with every quote starting with “Quote”.

David and I have struggled with this issue extensively and we cannot think of a way to make it totally foolproof

Last Edited by Peter at 05 Dec 07:56
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ok, it works now…I was one of posters having not done quoting succesfully

text to be quoted blha blah blah
Last Edited by Michal at 28 Nov 13:01
LKKU, LKTB

ok, it works now…I was one of posters having not done quoting succesfully

Hey, i can do it too!

I have also has issues at work. I don’t know if it’s because I am on IE8 or that the JavaScript functions are not trusted initially. No problems on my home PC or iPad and often do the manual workaround you described.

I’ve just done a quick and dirty test with IE8 and could not make it go wrong. The quote button works OK as documented.

IE8 is a small % nowadays (15% of EuroGA, from memory) but remains important because it is the latest IE which can be installed on winXP, and most people using winXP today are probably “serious” users who are using it for a good reason.

Administrator

Please note that I have just done the following edits to the text in Posting Tips (changes shown in bold)

To block-quote a paragraph of somebody else’s text, paste into your text, make sure it appears as a paragraph by itelf (i.e. has a blank line before it and a blank line after it), highlight it with the cursor and click the Quote button. This works for multiple paragraphs too, but please avoid quoting a whole long post because the result is usually not worth reading! Keep quotes short and relevant.

Making the text editor put any quoted text into a standalone paragraph automatically will be put on the list of things to do

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Nov 17:26
Administrator

I wonder why some people end up with the word “Quote” at the start of the quoted text – e.g.

Perhaps it happens on a particular mobile device?

If you press the Quote button with no text highlighted (swiped) then you should get this

and the word “Quote” should be highlighted (selected) as shown and it should be in the “editing focus” so the moment you start typing the highlighted text should disappear. So there are two possible explanations:

• people are intentionally un-selecting the word “Quote” and then continuing to type next to it
  • people are not getting it highlighted, so commencing typing leaves it in place

If you press the Quote button with some text highlighted (swiped) then you should get something like this

which will produce exactly the right result.

Administrator

I’ll try harder …

EDxx, Germany
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message