Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

We now have private messaging on EuroGA

It’s been there for a while but I think a lot of people didn’t get the email that was sent out.

Click on the person’s avatar (the picture) or click on their ID (under the avatar) and all will be revealed

There are no mailboxes that you have to access to pick up messages. It is done by two-way anonymised email so you get the incoming message delivered as an email to the email address you registered on this site. Your real email address is not revealed.

To reply to the message, just Reply as normal using your email facility.

Obviously you need to be logged in to access the messaging feature.

Make sure that the email address in your profile is valid (a few % of the ones here bounce back!) and make sure the address from which the messages arive – [email protected] – is whitelisted (or marked as a “trusted sender”, etc) with your ISP or webmail facility.

Last Edited by Peter at 05 Dec 21:09
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How about adding the ability to “like” a particular post…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

How about adding the ability to “like” a particular post…

It’s a possibility, but to what end? Actually we used to have post rating feature (thumbs up/down kind of thing) but it served no useful purpose so we dropped it.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

What is the reason that your build the forum on your own and do not use any of the many available forum freeware?

EDXQ

muelli, my company make a content management system product, of which the forums are just a part. None of the “many available forum freeware” do exactly what we need them to do.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I would also add a couple of things:

The two main forum packages produce a rather cluttered page in which peoples’ postings tend to disappear – especially the shorter ones. Especially when it is possible to so easily quote a complete post from somebody else (pictures included) which just trashes the readability of the thread. This happens more nowadays because so many people are posting from mobile devices which make it hard to compose a post properly.

The off the shelf packages are also relatively vulnerable to attacks, and downtime due to hacking (SQL insertion being a popular one) is quite common. Also the forums frequently get infected with viruses which then attack the PCs of people reading them. Readers with antivirus software get warnings that the site is infected, but the forum operators don’t like to advertise the attacks too much, preferring to fix them quietly.

Last Edited by Peter at 08 Dec 22:17
Administrator

It’s a possibility, but to what end? Actually we used to have post rating feature (thumbs up/down kind of thing) but it served no useful purpose so we dropped it.

I like the MooneySpace site….“likes” are not anonymous….they are not used that much but it allows the community to endorse a post simply without having to type a response…knowing who is endorsing is also valuable I find….maybe it’s more relevant to a type-specific site with the known experts…but for example to idea of going to Losinj…I would “like”!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Following some feedback, here is an update on the private messaging function. We had some rare issues but they are worth a mention:

The initial message you send to somebody, which the EuroGA server forwards to them as an email, will reach them – unless

• they are running an antispam system which rejects email from euroga.org, or
  • the email sent to them got rejected by their antispam system due to something you put into the message

On the first one, please take some steps to make sure the address *@euroga.org is whitelisted in your email system. In most cases, the means to do this will be some sort of control panel operated by your ISP, where you can login and set up stuff like “trusted senders”. With some ISPs, sending an email (any email) to an address will whitelist that address.

On the second one, it’s not possible to give definitive guidelines on what marks emails as spam, because there are different systems out there. I think the main system used nowadays is one which the ISP runs and which correlates the many thousands of emails received every say 10 seconds and then a spammer will show up as a clear pattern (and they all get dumped). This is extremely effective against the massive size of today’s spam problem. But, obviously, your email should not be caught by that. It will be something else. I suspect the biggest trigger is a short email containing a number of URLs, especially if they contain IP numbers…

Then we get to the next stage, which is a person replying to a private message. We use the “in-reply-to” header to route the messages. Not all email programs pass through this header. They all should, but not all do. I know of two (both used on Nokia phones) which strip them off. So your reply won’t go anywhere. To test if this is happening with your email program, you can reply to somebody’s private message but change the To: address from the one presented ([email protected]) to your own one, and when it comes back, check the header hasn’t been stripped off.

There are solutions to this but they have much bigger issues…

Last Edited by Peter at 23 Feb 13:16
Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message