Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GLO GPS firmware update

here

Apparently it fixes the issue with the unit turning itself on accidentally, meaning the battery would often be flat when you needed to use it.

The big Q for me is whether it concurrently supports both the Apple Politburo Approved nonstandard GPS data stream, and the standard NMEA data stream used by everybody else.

I haven’t yet seen a GPS that does that, but it would be a good selling point.

I used to play with an XGPS150 for the Ipad2 (because the Ipad GPS works poorly in my TB20, for some reason) but have given up on it because it was yet another gadget whose battery was always flat when it was needed.

What would be good would be a GPS which has both

• an external antenna socket
  • an external power socket

and which could thus be mounted remotely (say under the panel) and fed from a proper rooftop antenna. These exist[ed] for the non apple stuff and I have one (an old Emtac GPS) which works really well, and due to its internal battery will continue working for some hours in the case of an electrical failure.

But I have not yet found an apple compatible GPS that does that. And while the rooftop antenna is not a big issue if you can velcro it to the top of the dash, having to press a switch to turn it on means it cannot be mounted out of the way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I used to play with an XGPS150 for the Ipad2 (because the Ipad GPS works poorly in my TB20, for some reason) but have given up on it because it was yet another gadget whose battery was always flat when it was needed.

It is not exactly the dream unit you had been looking for, Peter, but the Bad Elf’s GPS Pro (BE-GPS-2200), when paired with my iPad2, runs for 16 hours without a re-charge. When operating in a data logging mode only – with its Bluetooth transmitter OFF – it runs for over 30 hours without re-charging. And, importantly, it has yet to loose the once acquired “fix”

Last Edited by ANTEK at 14 Dec 12:41
YSCB

Thanks for the tip re GLO unit – just successfully updated mine.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message