Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Mobile Flite Deck VFR / MFDVFR / Foreflight Mobile

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Sluggish – no problems

That’s odd. Mine takes up to 20 full seconds to boot, response after tapping a button is sometimes slow to the point where you tap it again because you think your tap wasn’t registered the first time, zooming in/out is far from fluid.

What kind of iPad are you using. I’m using an iPad mini 4.

chwinter wrote:

miss the integration of a “tool” for proper flight planning.

Are you talking about filing capabilities?

ThreePoint wrote:

Are you talking about filing capabilities?

Filing is not the most important for me.
I miss a vertical profile a lot. Also the vertical navigation is a bit complicated to enter and “see” during the flight.
I liked the planning way in ANP a lot!

EDMA, Germany

chwinter wrote:

I miss a vertical profile a lot.

I fully agree. This is IMHO the biggest shortcoming in the application. One that has been requested on their feedback forum from the very beginning.

For German readers: I wrote a comparsion of SD and Jeppesen MFDVFR in the last issue of PuF. All in all, SD is definitely the more complete and mature product, but Jepp does have a few advantages over SD, too.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Mar 14:01
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I had a 6 month trial of this product a year or two ago.

It had the best / clearest mapping by far of all the tablet products.

It was pricey so I dropped the sub at the end, but this judgement is a personal thing. It didn’t have the €300+ value to me because I had other solutions for VFR mapping, as well as access to the German VFR supplement, etc. Also I fly VFR outside the UK only if (a) it’s a trivial flight or (b) I am doing a PPL passenger a favour, hoping they will benefit from it. And this is very rare.

I don’t currently use an Ipad in the cockpit, for obscure reasons (e.g. not connectible to my satellite phone) or currently elsewhere, and while some Jepp tablet products do exist on Android (not sure about this one?) they won’t run on rooted devices which all mine are

It didn’t file flight plans. For VFR I use EuroFPL and a copy/paste into that would be easy. They give you 10 free FPs per month, which will do most people. But one can understand why people want a self contained tool, and SD and PFMS both file FPs.

The geographical coverage back then was too incomplete, but it is gradually improving. I cannot understand why it has taken years for Jepp to even match their VFR/GPS paper chart coverage, since the mapdata is so obviously out of the same CAD database.

For German readers: I wrote a comparsion of SD and Jeppesen MFDVFR in the last issue of PuF. All in all, SD is definitely the more complete and mature product, but Jepp does have a few advantages over SD, too.

Can you post a summary, Bosco?

I miss a vertical profile a lot.

How would you use that in planning?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use the programm since nearly 3 years now.

I like it a lot, to big shortcoming is as mentioned the vertical profile. I posted it on the forum for quite a while…. will see.
On the other hand, i’m absolutely against overloading the program. Every time i see them at the Aero i tell them to not listen to the people wanting to play with it on the PC etc

- no vertical profile view (big shortcoming)
- a bit sluggish (first start about 10Sec)
- unable to sync “flight plans” between iPads (don’t need, only 1 Ipad)
- doesn’t run on an iPhone (don’t need, no iphone)
- incomplete A/C configuration capabilities (what you want more… for w&b there are many other tools around)
- price compared to the competition (but I guess the cost of having trustworthy data) Yes, but i trust the data they have

But as a back up i always have easyVFR on my android tablet with me.

Regards

As in ANP: You can see vertical limits of airspaces and terrain. It just gives you a better overview about the situation you’re going to expect or you’re in presently.

EDMA, Germany

Peter wrote:

Its very helpful for planing, you see the Airspace compared with you altitude and of course you see the mountains so you know much quicker if you planned FL is fine or not. Its more a comfort item then a must, its a bit like a Autopilot….
I always recheck the routes on easyVFR as this program has the vertical profile, in London area its worthfull.

Peter wrote:

In the planning phase, having a vertical profile view with following information overlaid would be great to optimize your flight level, wouldn’t it?

- airspaces (you’d instantly see whether you’ll be going under, through or over them)
- weather (GRAMET overlay – speaks for itself)
- head- & tailwind components
- terrain

In flight, same advantages apply.

Last Edited by ThreePoint at 28 Mar 16:13
Sign in to add your message