Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Mobile Flite Deck VFR / MFDVFR / Foreflight Mobile

Peter,

hard to make a summary (other than what I said above), since there are so many differennt facets to look at, such as features, airfield database, airspaces, graphics, price, support, etc.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Does this app allow you to create a “totally random” route (by drag/drop etc) and then copy/paste it into a flight plan filing program, with any non-database waypoints being specified as lat/long coordinates (or maybe specified using the VORrrrddd notation)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nothing of that at all. MFDVFR does not have any interfaces whatsoever.

For the IFR product, they are working on (or maybe they already finalised) an interface with Rocketroute.

In that case, how would you develop a route in MFDVFR and file a flight plan with it?

I remember the IFR version (Jeppesen Flight Deck) back 10 years and I am fairly sure that it had a “routepack generation” feature so there was a way to get the route out of it somehow. That program dates back to Jeppview v2 (2006) which it came free of charge with, and was very buggy back then.

Administrator

In that case, how would you develop a route in MFDVFR and file a flight plan with it?

Copy and paste just the route into whatever you use for flightplan filing. Heck, many will even handcopy the route into a paper flightplan form. That is (with some generalisation) the general clientele of MFDVFR. It’s definitely much less “techy” than SD.

I can’t see MFDVFR making much progress in the UK then, where many pilots like to rubber-band their route around bits of CAS.

Administrator

RR and Jepp FD (IFR) work very together well. You basically do all your planning on RR and then squirt it across with a single click. There are a couple of minor irritants but at least you get the route on a Jepp chart, including their VFR depiction. However, I would offer that the lack of flight planning functionality remains an issue and you still need to go back to another bit of software for plog etc; I use Garmin Pilot for this. Some screenshots of Jepp FD and Garmin Pilot.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 29 Mar 16:22
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

can’t see MFDVFR making much progress in the UK then, where many pilots like to rubber-band their route around bits of CAS.

I didn’t say one can’t rubber-band a route.

Re the UK, I don’t think Jeppesen is putting many into that niche any more. They consider it “lost” to the competition.

Jeppesen is tagetting mostly the Gernan speaking countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), which is by far the biggest “VFR touring pilots community” in Europe.

Even France (second largest GA nation in Europe) they apparently don’t put so much hope in, since their pilots seem to be very attached to their IGN and Cartabossy charts and also, they seem to be less ipad-inclined and still tend to use paper.

You can definitely rubberband a route. You’ll just have to copy it manually onto a flight plan form to file it.

I’m not sure they have abandoned France and the UK. Why would they? They have good coverage (and still expanding) and have a large team working in the background to make sure the data is reliable (this cannot always be said about some of the competition where AIP data is dumped into a database regardless of whether or not this contains typos, syntax errors, … and where users are relied on to report the mistakes).
Of course, I fully agree to the fact that they really need to get going on the feature front, where their product is years behind the competition.

Last Edited by ThreePoint at 29 Mar 18:02

The only real advantage of Jepp is coverage. For example (and as some may have guessed from the previous screenshots), I’m flying from UK to Amman later this week. SD is useless beyond Greece, Garmin Pilot has excellent worldwide airspace coverage but limited plates, RocketRoute is OK for planning but clunky (also lacks plates for Greece, Egypt etc) and it is only Jepp who can provide worldwide airfield coverage (at a cost!!).

Personally, I would like to se Garmin have a good stab at navdata. Their software, features and functionality is exceptionally good (I had my first go at squirting a plan via Bluetooth to a 750 the other day) and worldwide airport data would really worry Jepp.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message