Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Mobile Flite Deck VFR / MFDVFR / Foreflight Mobile

@Peter_Mundy thanks but I meant the trial for Jeppfd. I am already a Foreflight subscriber. There used to be a Jeppesen site that you could sign up for a Jeppfd trial and they would email you a 30 day key.

Sweden

foreflight.com/vfr60

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 15 Jun 08:07
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Does anyone have a new link to the JeppFD trial? They opened the redesigned website this week and the trial link is gone.

Sweden

That’s a good summary, @PepperJo.

I have FF with the Jepp Europe IFR/VFR coverage, but without the Europe region. The only thing that I can find missing in this situation is the VFR routes and circuit info on the basemap as shown in the screenshot above, as well as all the Europe “freebee” stuff like AIP, IAP, etc. The Jepp coverage has all this as the Jepp charts can all be overlaid on the map as mentioned, except for any “not to scale” stars & sids. The Jepp manuals are automatically updated in the documents section per the cycles, subject to the odd glitch/delay. Same applies to navdata like the 8.33MHz rollout in Switzerland recently that only appeared in the Jepp data in the cycle after it took effect. Jepp claimed they didn’t get the info from the source in time to make their data release cut. The Jepp coverage includes all the VFR VRPs, IFR wpts, IFR routes, airspace, etc on the map. There is a bit of a mis-match between Jepp VFR and IFR country coverage, but that can be made up manually with the national AIP/IAP via the autorouter bot on Telegram. Last I looked, FF Europe region coverage was not (yet) as extensive as Jepp’s.

My single region is Canada, which gives me all the Canadian info similar to the US (FARs, AIM, VFR/IFR charts, etc). I considered adding Europe region to my FF sub, but don’t see any substantial benefit for the extra $100, at this stage. Of course, if one only flies in Europe then the Europe region eliminates this consideration.

LSZK, Switzerland

@Peter I know there is a lot of confusion what is included/offered with FF in terms of (Approach) Charts. Unfortunately, I think FF doesn’t do a very good job explaining the differences. I get constant questions like “is X included”, “FF does not have X” etc. So I’ll try to give a short summary which I hope makes it clearer (Check out all the options here: https://foreflight.com/buy/#/pro_plus,included_geo_us → select Europe and you will see optional IFR and VFR packages, also check out https://foreflight.com/europe/ and https://foreflight.com/europe/data):

- Without any additional package just by selecting the Europe region (1 region is included in the price) you get VFR/IFR data as explained above, i.e. airspace, low/high IFR, VFR waypoints, circuits, no-fly zones etc. displayed directly on the map, e.g. (left iPad):

Additionally you get all IFR/VFR procedure charts which are available via Eurocontrol, for VFR that includes countries that publish their VFR procedure charts for free like France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, etc. (see https://foreflight.com/europe/data for a full list). Obviously you get all IFR procedure charts from Eurocontrol however many people say that they are not very useful and you can only fly with the Jeppesen charts. Also VFR ICAO charts are included from some countries that offer them for free (Currently I believe this is the Netherlands, Denmark and Italy).
- With the additional packages you can add country specific VFR procedure charts (that are not available via Eurocontrol) like Germany (DFS), Switzerland (SkyGuide) etc. e.g. the SkyGuide bundle is 50$ and includes procedure and ICAO charts of Switzerland plus the VFR Manual (which Skyguide does not provide for free anymore). You can also get the Jeppesen (Bottlang) VFR procedure charts for 110$ for whole Europe. Also of course you can add Jeppesen IFR procedure charts (Europe is 782$). They are all georeferenced and can be displayed on the map, e.g.

In my opinion for VFR flying the overlay which is included in the region is sufficient. It has minimum/maximum altitudes for departure/arrival routes, circuit height, no-fly zones etc. The only time I look at the procedure charts is for planing at home. I typically also don’t use any ICAO charts but fly with the provided aeronautical chart with the overlays (since at the moment it has little detail I typically use the streetmap with the aeronautical data ontop. Can’t wait for the new basemap :-)).

Hope his helps.
Jonas

Last Edited by PepperJo at 13 Jun 20:14
Switzerland

I’m surprised. I’d have thought you get the Jeppesen (Bottlang) ones. Not the DFS ones!

Yes, you are right, of course.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You mean FF already has the Jepp 1:500k “VFR/GPS” charts which cover most of Europe, which Jepp used to publish on paper before dropping that in 2013, and which went on to live in the MFDVFR product?

FF right now (I think only with a Jeppesen sub) has “Jeppesen” map layers:

• Jeppesen VFR
  • Jeppesen IFR low
  • Jeppesen IFR high

These are the same as in JeppFD (the IFR version). I’m not sure whether the VFR map layer in JeppFD (the IFR version) is the same as the map in MFDVFR.

The colouring of areas according to the GAFOR that I saw in MFDVFR screenshots AFAIK doesn’t exist in ForeFlight.

Peter wrote:

I wonder if this has the German DFS VFR approach charts? MFDVFR came with those

I’m surprised. I’d have thought you get the Jeppesen (Bottlang) ones. Not the DFS ones!

Peter wrote:

Everybody who sells an IFR product is using Jepp databases, but they haven’t got the nice VFR charts which Jepp produce.

Everyone who sells a GA IFR product in Europe is using the Jeppesen database. The Garmin navdata (in North America, not available for Europe… yet?) is usable for IFR, too.

Last Edited by lionel at 13 Jun 10:51
ELLX

I wonder if this has the German DFS VFR approach charts? MFDVFR came with those, but including them would add some €60 to the cost of the Foreflight product.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Free trial 60 days link: http://foreflight.com/vfr60

ESME, ESMS

Will the Jepp VFR charts be added to Foreflight as an add-on with an additional cost, or will it be part of the standard product?

Also, when will Foreflight start plotting graphical NOTAMs? (rhetorical question)

ESME, ESMS
142 Posts
Sign in to add your message