Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Will a phone ever be anywhere as good as a DSLR?

The Moment iOS camera app is a 3rd party app. Can the default IOS camera app (the one which can be quick-launched) really be replaced?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On iOs tha launch of the native app or Moment app are jusy as fast. Face ID to unlock screen, then one push of a button. The mo,ent app is also available for Android. Not 100% sure if features are exactly the same.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 06 Aug 03:36
EDLE, Netherlands

It is the same on Android. One touch launches an app. There are several apps which will write jpg+raw concurrently, some even to an SD card (the native app doesn’t support an SD card for “user experience policy” reasons; it is a lot slower). I use an app called Footej Camera which does everything and it all actually works.

There just doesn’t to be an app which can be quick-launched (which is really useful) and writes jpg+raw, or even just raw, anywhere at all (internal flash or external SD). On a rooted device there is probably a way to do it, most likely by editing one of the many xml files which control the behaviour of an android phone, but getting info out of the principal forum (XDA) is like pulling teeth; most of the (few) who know are really arrogant.

Re the 1/80 manual shutter, I have Filmic Pro also

but I am not convinced the “shutter” implementation is the same. I can’t get the prop to disappear in the same way. I am not sure if anyone here knows the detailed differences between a phone and a camcorder e.g. a Canon G10/G40.

I think for stills the shutter setting on these phone apps works fine, in terms of regulating the exposure. Well, subject to the usual caveats when stuff is moving e.g. rolling shutter effects, but DSLRs have the same (but different) problem because say 1/2000 is implemented with a “10% wide” slot in the curtain which takes ~1/200 of a second (5ms) to move across…

Administrator

There is another thread about removing propeller artefacts, global shutter cameras, etc, here

I’ve merged several “how to remove prop effects” threads.

Administrator

I have taken 2 pictures with my mobile phone. One of them without an extra lens and the other with the Siriu lens in front of the telelens of the iPhone, so with a magnification factor of 4×.

OK. The quality of the telelens image is not up to par with a real telelens, but I thought I would share it here. I can also place the Siriu telelens in front of the other iPhone camera (the phone has 2 cameras next to each other), which would result in a 2x magnification.

I went through the posts in the other thread and read that my earlier response and pictures were about the same as now. I am of the belief that the propeller doesn’t have to disappear for 100% as in the end, it is a propeller aircraft you are flying and not a jet. I don’t have a video taken through the prop with my iPhone, but am sure it will be ok enough to not let the prop be a hindrance in the video.

EDLE, Netherlands

To me that telelens is an unusable lens. (Unless you used digital zoom as well I’m not sure?). It doesn’t look pretty!

Kind of surprising as in this video it is the Moment lens that is very blurry towards the edge of the image, but the Siriu appears better. Maybe the video masks some of the imperfections.

Last Edited by Archie at 07 Aug 10:14

@Archie: the picture of the tower is not nice, indeed. However, when using the same lens for portraits or closer objects, the results are quite nice. I think it has difficulty getting into focus on longer distances.

EDLE, Netherlands

On the spectrum of lens prices, the Moment lenses are cheap lenses. They are probably much worse than a 1965 lens which Donald McCullin dragged through the mud in Vietnam

And the other phone add-on lenses (Amazon is full of them) are much cheaper. I bought some a while ago and they were crap – unless you just wanted a magnifying glass.

They are better than digital zoom though

I wonder why infinity focus should be a problem. In the old days, the manual lenses had a mechanical stop at infinity. With autofocus, you can’t do that because you have to allow to go past it so the focusing system can find the sharpest point. The makers also argue that temperature expansion precludes a usable mechanical stop. I am sure phones do the same, and incidentally this may be why the “infinity” setting on phone cameras (and compact cameras) is often out of focus. I don’t see how it can be done open-loop.

Administrator

My guess is it far too expensive to make a proper infinity stop. I have had a few Nikon af lens that have a hard infinity stop. But it’s a hybrid of the earlier design with a real metal helicoid. It only works as it’s a small lens, and the motor is almost strong enough. The infinity shim needs to carefully adjusted. Longer manual lens almost always did not have an infinity stop. As the tolerances are too tight. Plus what ever moves the motor needs some kind a clutch or something.
Lens with lots of difficult to machine parts are still expensive.

Ted
United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

With autofocus, you can’t do that

Just checked one of the AF Nikon lens I still have that has an infinity stop, and the infinity focus is spot on. It’s an 85mm that I have had for twenty years. So it can certainly be done. The newer lens don’t have this feature as they are built with “improved” construction.

Ted
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message