Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Will a phone ever be anywhere as good as a DSLR?

How long until one has to search the internet to find out what DSLR once meant?

Interestingly the latest Huawei Mate P20 version, priced to out-price almost anything from Apple (an interesting tactic in itself ) no longer uses a monochrome camera to reduce the (mostly luminance) noise in images.

Instead you get three different camera angles, which is probably much more useful.

They presumably decided low light performance is not a huge thing, and I tend to agree, because the tiny lenses are the limiting factor…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter may like this, the new Nokia 9 Pureview with 5 cameras. Interesting to see what kind of reviews it will get. Apart from the cameras, specs appear mediocre, but it’s relatively cheap at 599€.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-9-pureview

EFHF

Interesting newcomer…

I can’t immediately see why the spec is mediocre. It has 128GB flash. The 845 CPU is nearly state of the art.

The price is lower than the mega-priced top offerings from Apple and Huawei but that’s not a bad thing – I think phones over 1k are a p1sstake on how much people will pay for fashion (like 5 digit priced Swiss watches, etc).

It does look amazing. A phone is a phone, apart from the camera…

Administrator

Looking at some pics from a review I think I am going to buy the Nokia 9. Not the first batch though

Administrator

This is interesting: Nokia 9 versus the old Nokia 1020 (same camera as the Nokia 808 I had for a few years)

And here is the Nokia 9 versus Huawei P30 which is supposed to be state of the art but clearly is not; the N9 clearly outperforms it

The verdict across various reviews is that the N9 is excellent if you shoot RAW, which is fair enough. But the software is buggy and badly needs a fix release.

OTOH I think all modern phones produce poor jpegs. I stopped using jpegs for any real photos ages ago; always shoot RAW and process in Lightroom.

Administrator

Is there anyone here with any of the new multi-camera phones? For example the Samsung S10 or the Huawei Pro-various.

I thought about upgrading my S7 to the S10E (the “E” is a smaller version; not all that common) and doing some digging I found that on the S10 range only the main camera can produce RAW. The others can do jpeg only. And Huawei phones have the issue with the US embargo, with the P30 Pro being supposedly the last one to get access to the android appstore.

But nobody out there knows anything about RAW capability of different phones. I know the vast majority of people don’t use RAW but it is important to me since it really transforms the quality.

Given the number of “anoraks” here, I wondered if somebody knows

Administrator

I have one data point: the Huawei Mate 20 can do RAW from all its cameras.

Administrator

Will a phone ever be anywhere as good as a DSLR?

No! Which is why everyone should have one!

So if someone is interested, I am selling my rarely used DSLR (canon 7d, hardly any exposures), complete with 28-300 L IS USM, 70-200 L USM, 10-22mm lenses, loads of accessories (thinktank incognito foto bag, all original packages…) for only 2200€.

Please buy it so I can get a new iPhone.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 09 Dec 17:31
always learning
LO__, Austria

I think you have proved, and only empirically, without developing any proper theoretical framework, that social media has taken over the world, and the average IQ of homo sapiens has dropped in inverse proportion

Administrator
Sign in to add your message