Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Will a phone ever be anywhere as good as a DSLR?

Peter wrote:

by selling a 128GB phone for £1200

256gb, but yes, get your point. There’s also a 256gb iPhone 8 for £849.

Peter wrote:

One could have done noise reduction in Lightroom, on the Samsung shot, but why is the Nokia so much better?
I’m scratching my head over this result too. Both have the same pixel size 1.4 um. This guy did in more detail what you did, but with the same result.

Peter wrote:

there is no denying that phone camera quality has gone backwards
I tend to disagree purely for reason that I don’t consider the Nokia 808 a phone. It’s a compact camera that can make phone calls. The others are smartphones with a camera. and there is definite progress but not with the order of magnitude we would like to see.

I ended up buying iPhone 7 128Gb for £580 pound recently. The “8” and “X” don’t offer the added value in my opinion for the extra money.

I tend to disagree purely for reason that I don’t consider the Nokia 808 a phone

It depends on one’s usage. The 808:

• great camera
  • crap web browsers (because app developers left Nokia for IOS c. 2010) but fully functional for basic websites
  • fairly crap email apps (as above) but functional
  • great satnav (Nokia Maps was as good as anything I have now i.e. Tomtom, Sygic, and note that TT crashes the S7 but TT don’t know how to fix it)
  • whatsapp and telegram – no idea since I never did IM in the 808 days; I think WA exists but TG never did

Justine has the 1020 (the windows version of the 808, same camera as the 808 but instead of a dedicated graphics processor it uses the phone’s processor). To re-use above table:

• great camera
  • OK web browser (IE mostly works)
  • OK email (actually quite good in that picture attachments are always shown as inline images, which is nice)
  • great satnav (Sygic)
  • whatsapp and telegram – these work but WA is not reliable

But very few new apps now.

The 808 was fine for e.g. EuroGA and any “basic” well-behaved websites. Unfortunately Autorouter uses some framework (code library) which does weird things which work only on Safari, Chrome and Firefox. But then that is the modern trend, and FF will soon be abandoned by web programmers as it now makes only about 10%.

The S7 is faster in use, despite running Java apps In this respect, 7 years makes a difference.

Ultimately the 808’s death was sealed by the reluctance of most N European phone shops to stock it. One reason I heard was that the great camera would detract from the phones they were then trying to sell (year 2011… relatively crap ones) and Symbian was rapidly becoming too obscure. Mine came from the Far East.

I now get reasonably acceptable results from the S7, via the RAW → Lightroom route. But will this improve in the next few years? I don’t think so. And I think this is the key to the topic title. DSLRs have advanced, phones have got stuck.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ha, so in fact it’s a moving target Question: do DSLR’s need to be as good as they are today, or is a DSLR of 7 years ago acceptable as “DSLR target” for the millions of new smartphones?

Think about it: In 2016 11 mln DSLR’s were sold. Apple alone is putting 1 million iPhone 8 & X’s in peoples hands every day with a very advanced, very portable camera.

Have we just seen the next development appear? Variable aperture ‘announced’ for the Samsung S9. The lens has a stunning f/1.5 fast aperture, but can apparently switch to a f/2.4 in an instant.

Last Edited by Archie at 12 Jan 18:01

What will that do? Just gives you a greater depth of field, but phones already have too much of that in most cases. A smaller aperture also reduces the effect of lens imperfections.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What will that do?

Let in less light. Your reading it the way the marketing guys wants you too

I am reading it, we are using technology from 19th century because we are constrained by the same physics they had back then.

Ted
United Kingdom

It all seems totally pointless to me. Two lenses, and a reduced aperture… Why not just put in a decent sensor and a decent big lens? I think they can’t, in the thickness.

There are still people buying the 808 on Ebay, just to get a good pocket camera which does some other stuff. I can see why, since nobody ever made a pocket camera with decent wireless functionality (gsm, wifi, bluetooth, etc).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It all seems totally pointless to me. Two lenses, and a reduced aperture… Why not just put in a decent sensor and a decent big lens?

United States

Interesting… L16 phone

It is really thick though – it’s never going to become a big seller in the phone market

I think they got a graphic designer to do the layout of the cameras

Administrator

Peter wrote:

[Larger aperture] gives you a greater depth of field, but phones already have too much of that in most cases.
Not at all. It would be one of the few reasons I’d select a DSLR over my smartphone camera. To have awesome portrait pictures utilizing depth of field.

A lower f-number will allow more room to play with depth of field. Hence it’s nice they’ve pushed to f/1.5 on smartphones now. Hopefully even further in the future.

DSLR’s already had become less relevant in this area due to portrait mode! Faster apertures will add to this.

The other situation I’d select a DSLR would be low light shots with (fast) action. Mind you that a faster aperture helps the smartphone camera there too. If I’m correct this aperture lets in 30% more light compared to the previous f/1.7…?

Last Edited by Archie at 15 Jan 21:11
Sign in to add your message