Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Like" or "Thank you" button!

A “Like” or “Thank you”-button would be nice to have next to each post, so people can give a simple appreciation/feedback to the author.

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Already requested….and rejected…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I have often thought about this, but then I suspect the reason it was rejected was because it’s too easy just to ‘like’ everything and not make a constructive comment instead. Also I guess, a ‘like’ means very little. I like it when people ‘like’ my photos I put on Facebook, but what does it mean – some people like it, and the other 90% dont like it? (grrr), or are people liking it because they also share your hobbies and want to show their moral support?. It’s all very nice, but means very little really….

Last Edited by PiperArcher at 15 May 12:36

The very best way anyone can contribute to EuroGA is by writing some good/interesting stuff on it

So if you can think of anything to say which is worth discussing, please post it and get a discussion going.

You can probably do that in the time it would take to thank a few posters

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies!

I get the point, but i still think it’s good with a simple “Like” button, easy to show the author that a post was appreciated and or even read. Not all people have the possibility or knowledge to contribute to the discussions, but hanging out here all day following the discussions with great interest (like me) :)

Writing “thank you” after every post people would do, is also an option ;)

Jonas

Last Edited by Jonas at 15 May 20:16
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Jonas

I also put in this request – it seems to work in forums where there is a a near absence of trolls, and thankfully this seems to be such a forum.

So not adding much in terms of contribution, but reinforcing a good environment, and hopefully encouraging more posts from the poster who got a thank you.

it also helps minimize the +1 default post – again few of these on this site.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Just to add one more vote – personally, I am strongly against “Like”, “Dislike” and similar buttons. The farther away we are from the social network paradigm, the better. In fact, I don’t even understand why they call them “social networks” – these networks are fairly antisocial, reducing real human communication to a handful of formulaic canned emotions.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It is hard to resist the urge to plus one the previous message.
Well said, and even stronger: well thought!

But of course I ought to add more than that, so here is my request for a “spinnach is green” button.

(apologies for possible incoherency, author slightly exhausted from redoing electrical circuitry on microlight; and already stressed with tomorrow’s in-flight testing)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The Like/Dislike or Upvote/Downvote is not meant as a “social” feature in discussion forums, and if implemented like the StachExchange sites (http://stackexchange.com/sites) it is a strong feature for the cummunity here to qualify the questions and comments/answers, and for the readers to get an idea of what the quality of the discussion is. Makes it much MUCH easier if you use the forum to hunt for information on a subject.

Stackexchange (especially StackOverflow) is an example of forums reinvented and done right. It doesn’t have to be all-in with all the features that they have implemented, but the up/downvote is something I would see as being very usefull on a site as this – full of great content from good contributors.

/Lars

EKRK, Denmark

Thanks everyone for their input.

Lars, StackExchange is an excellent system and the way it has been implemented is what has made its quality so high, because it attracts good quality contributions. However, I disagree that it’s forums reinvented. It’s Q&A reinvented. Its purpose is for someone to seek an exact answer to a very specific question; that is apparent from using it, and from their moderation policies. Here we hope to foster good discussion and sometimes debate. Oftentimes there is no right or wrong answer. On StackOverflow a question like “Is a PA128-180 powerful enough as a tourer” or “Should I get an instrument rating” wouldn’t be allowed.

On some threads here, where one is seeking a definitive answer, I agree that if there was a mechanism for someone to say “Yes, what s/he said is correct” it would perhaps make finding that definitive answer easier. But even then it might prevent a follow up, perhaps slightly tangential post which might yet contain additional useful or interesting information.

For now at least my view remains that a Like button doesn’t suit what we’re doing here, but am happy for the debate to continue and I may yet change my mind.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message