Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Editing post title

Would it be possible to add the possibility to edit the post title after it has been posted just like the post content ?

Currently only us mods can edit it. I occasionally edit out the grocer's apostrophes and will fix up other obvious errors.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hopefully that's grocers' apostrophes? I mean, there's isn't just one of them....otherwise it would be The Grocer's apostrophes.

They deserve a thread on their own. Either one knows how to apply them or one doesn't. If you don't, and that's not only grocers, what I've always been curious about is how they're then applied randomly and illogically; maybe just in case one gets it right?

I hate seeing one late at night, as it can cause insomnia.

I'm also curious to know if there's a similar problem in the Dutch language. A Dutch friend's website is littered with them, but I hadn't realise they (apostrophes) exist in other languages, and if they do in Dutch, what they're called. Florists' apostrophes?

Going back to the thread theme, I agree it would be useful to edit the thread title, but it wouldn't make sense if anyone else had posted subsequently.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Yes; apologies, my error

However it is often referred to as I wrote it, because grocers write stuff like

Banana's Potato's

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Not being able to edit the thread title is deliberate (obviously it's deliberate in that it's the way we've written the code but I mean it's a conscious choice to not do it, rather than we just didn't bother, or didn't get to it yet). The problem with editing them is that a lot of people (me included) will read a thread and decide to keep an eye on it (in a casual way, rather than formally adding it to their watched threads list) or decide to not bother looking at it any longer. The thread title is the key to which thread is which in the various lists, so if it changes it undermines that mental note one has made.

Clearly that doesn't please everyone; some people are inclined to want to edit titles more than others, some people read all threads and don't keep that mental track of the titles, some people make a lot of use of the watched threads list, etc. etc. On balance editing titles comes up rarely enough that we've chosen not to do it. If you have a thread title you want changing and it's keeping you up at night let us know and we'll change it for you.

Nothing is set in stone of course. On a personal level I would rather not allow editing of posts but as that's a minority view I've caved on that one, so anything is possible.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message