Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Iphone4 with no SIM but receiving text messages - how?

iMessage is awesome.

But if you switch phones, and it is giving you trouble like you describe, there is actually a method to unregister:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage
Link

Last Edited by Archie at 08 Feb 02:46

However, I cannot find where you config the relationship between the i-messages and your mobile number. This must live on Apple’s server.

It does, yes.

There is only one config item I can see; under Settings, and you can turn i-message on or off. Obviously I have turned it off.

That’s it – you’ve done all that needs doing. If you are no longer in possession of the phone, you use the link I provided.

But surely this means that if this phone was sold on Ebay (as it will be soon) and somebody just turned it back on, the phone would become visible for i-messages to anybody who gets it, under its old GSM number, and if somebody then sends a text message to that number (my GF) that message will be actually delivered to the phone’s new owner. Will a wipe of the phone prevent that?

If you erase the phone, then that device will no longer be able to receive iMessages for your number. The only way to re-link a phone with the number would be to physically put the right SIM in it. Selling a phone without wiping it wouldn’t be wise though for plenty of other reasons.

You still might end up with iMessages to that number ending up in the ether though unless you used the link. If you’re definitely no longer using it, just visit the link to be sure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message