Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ipad use in airliner cockpits

Ipad problems ground a US airline

here

Not surprising really, if you put all your eggs in two baskets (there are two Ipads in the cockpit) which run identical software, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The commercial company I’m flying for as freelancer on C525 has since
at least 3 years Ipad’s in the flightdecks.CAA approved using it by maintaining
the following conditions: Min 2 Ipads, Battery always > 60% prior DEP ,2 stainless-Steel boxes in case of battery fire ….and finally DEST and 1.alternate in printed version on board. Never had s/w problems or even battery trouble…
Happy landings to all:)

EDLW, Dortmund,Germany

Interesting to hear of the stainless steel box requirement!

This suggests the app was JeppTC. I wonder what the problem could be? That is not a moving map app; it is just a terminal chart viewer.

I have noticed there is an update showing up for JeppTC, but I am avoiding it.

Administrator

All our pilots are about to be issued with iPads (at last!). It will be the primary electronic flight bag (EFB) for the B747, A330 and A340 fleets, and secondary for the B787 (which has EFB built in).

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

What software?

Administrator

Haven’t been told, but Airbus and in-house I expect.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Interesting to hear of the stainless steel box requirement!

Luckily I can open canopy little bit and throw it away

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

AA uses Jeppesen Mobile Flite Deck Pro, which is a different app to TC or MFD.

United Kingdom

… 2 stainless-Steel boxes in case of battery fire ….

Wow! Our authority considers a single "LiPo Safe Bag” sufficient. These cost around 10 Euros and fold into the seat pocket next to the life vest. Also we are not required to carry any paper chart after a six month trial period during which we experienced zero problems with our iPads. That was over a year ago and we have had no problem since on a fleet of nine (now eight, but soon nine again) aircraft carrying two iPads each

EDDS - Stuttgart

I don’t really understand the popularity of iPads in aviation. I completely understand it in the consumer world, but not that much in the professional. I personally prefer something bit rugged (or semi-rugged), that was designed to take beating instead of being as slim and as pretty as possible within given budget. Maybe something with memory card reader (best, I think, SD/ SDHC/ SDXC), USB port, or battery hot-swap capability. Being easy on the eyes and light weight would be a nice touch, but not essential.

Last Edited by Martin at 30 Apr 20:02
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message