Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ipad use in airliner cockpits

I think the beauty of the iPad for these types of applications is that it can be ruggedised if required but does not have external inputs such as USB/SD etc. which makes it easier to secure. A pretty closed OS is good too. In my business we have 100’s of them being used by people probably a lot more careless with them than pilots (who will be aware of the consequences of it not working) and we have very few issues. Windoze tablets which were the first attempts were a disaster!

EGBP, United Kingdom

I can’t say I like Windows, but i don’t consider iPads particularly secure. And I want those interfaces because they are useful to me. I can certainly understand why an airline wouldn’t care about SD cards or USB. Their pilots don’t download engine trend data or upload flight plans. With an iPad, I would need that camera connection kit. But more generous operating ranges, higher tolerance to dust, liquids, vibrations and the ability to quickly change battery (even without turning the device off) is, in my eyes, valuable. Personally, I consider iPads disposable/ consumable. I have about a dozen of them lying around.

Last Edited by Martin at 30 Apr 20:54

I have used a single iPad for over 600 hours in the Meridian with no paper backup (just Garmin Flitecharts) and never needed to resort to backup due to failure of the iPad. Just need to keep them out of the sun and they are fine. I prefer Android but apple has won for aviation right now.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, that’s an issue. An iPad can overheat while you’re lying by the pool (looking at the specification, it could actually overheat even in a shade on a hot day). They don’t like cold either. Some aeroplanes are greenhouses with wings and offer very little protection from radiation. Unless you fancy flying inverted. I never had such issues with a Getac (or a Panasonic; and they run hotter components). I don’t have to worry about it when getting out in a rain (I can actually use it to protect myself). And if I kick it off a mount onto tarmac while getting out and fuel truck runs over it ( )… it just might survive and if not, it’s covered by the standard warranty (OTOH an iPad is much, much cheaper).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying iPads are bad. I wouldn’t buy them otherwise. I have somewhat a fetish for craftsmanship. I just don’t think they are best suited for the job and I’m surprised that they are so well accepted in such a demanding environment. Maybe that’s just my perception.

I just don’t think they are best suited for the job and I’m surprised that they are so well accepted in such a demanding environment.

We are not ag flying, aren’t we? That’s the only demanding environment within GA I’m aware of. I’ve been using my private iPad for over three years now, every single day, everywhere. Single, twin, bizjet, train, car, hotel, home. I have no special case or protective bag other than the “Smart Cover” that came with it. Not even a screen protector The battery still lasts 3/4 as long as on the first day, it has never overheated nor did it freeze. I have never had GPS reception issues anywhere in any aircraft.
The same applies to the 18 iPads in almost daily use over our fleet since more than a year. Other than on very cold and hot days they are only removed from the aeroplanes for charging.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Well, it’s more demanding than that of a cosy living room. And yes, given the certification rules, I consider aviation demanding. For better or worse. I don’t doubt it can get the job done.

I too still have my first one. I consider them disposable because of their poor serviceability, not because I’m careless and destroy one after another. But mine have overheated and show me no love when cold. I have operated tablets from about -25 to +42 °C (air temperature). And I certainly do things with the more rugged tablets I wouldn’t with an iPad.

I took this rather poor pic last night. Can any airline pilot explain what function the Ipad is performing?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

iPads are mostly used for technical information, manuals and the like. Never for navigation.

Here is most current FAA guidance to airlines on use of EFB AC 120-76D EFB

What is really new is that US air carriers are now allowed to show ownship position on a map while airborne.

KUZA, United States

Thanks for that link NCYankee. Some interesting stuff there…

I wonder how the external GPS source is implemented. Would they really stick a bluetooth GPS on the top of the panel?

This bit sounds like the Garmin Safetaxi, or JeppFD (etc) displaying the airport chart

This bit sounds like prohibition on the crew doing their personal internet stuff on it and a fair degree of customisation e.g. if you are to limit outside connections to a VPN then how do you lock the device down to only ever use the VPN? This is an old problem in IT, and a lot of security breaches happened via a VPN being briefly unavailable and the OS switches back to the base connection

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message