Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Photo Upload

I’ve just tried to add some photos to my “Fairoaks to Annemasse – Video” post. First, I got a “upload failed” error, now I can’t see the button to allow me to edit the post at all.

Help!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Chris, it has been my repeated experience that the “drag and drop images” feature works well when creating a new thread but not when editing an existing one.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

What browser (type, version, etc) are you using, Chris, and what app (Windows Explorer?) are you dragging/dropping from?

I frequently do the drag/drop while editing a previous post. I use Firefox. Chrome also works. I have not been able to replicate these issues. I have found some issues in drag/drop but they are more subtle e.g. a 300 second overall timeout on a multi-file transfer, which means that transfers of many files need a fast internet connection. It’s documented in Posting Tips now. But I/we have not been able to replicate a failure of drag/drop simply because a post is being edited. Hence the need for the information.

In any case you can just send me the pics and I will do it for you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Also see here. My memory is crap but we have had this before.

I am not sure how it ended up, but it looks like using control-v for the paste is what doesn’t work.

Administrator

I have just retested image drop into a previously submitted post, with Firefox and Chrome, latest versions, and can’t make it fail.

This is with a Windows File Explorer as the source, Windows XP SP3.

With FF, the progress bar % figure doesn’t work properly; it goes from 00% to 80% (or some other figure) but the upload works.
With Chrome, the progress bar works great.

So if somebody finds issues with drag/drop of images into a previously submitted post, please let me know the system details (here or by email) so we can investigate.

I haven’t tested with IE (well not today) because there are so many versions and XP is limited to IE8. I have IE10 on a win8 tablet (in the aircraft) so at a push could test that. Same goes for the Android versions of FF, Chrome or IE; I have those on a 4.4.2 Samsung tablet.

Please note that without this information, there is really nothing we can do.

To be clear, this is what I am doing:

Administrator

Mac OS X 10.10.3, Safari 8.0.6 but I also tried Google Chrome. I tried both drag and drop and selecting the images with the ‘Upload Image’ button.

I’ll try adding the photos to a new post on the thread.

Spending too long online

Thanks for the info Chris. I can recreate that environment (indeed, it’s exactly what I’m running by default) so I’ll try it and see. I suspect it might be ok for Peter because he is an administrator/moderator, but I’ll try it as a normal user.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Photos successfully uploaded to new post on same thread.

Spending too long online

This is a post, without a photo initially. Will add one with an edit.

Last Edited by PhotoTesting at 18 May 11:00

Ok, we have recreated the problem. Standby for a fix.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message