Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly-ins forum (and sticky threads)

10 Posts

How about a Fly-ins forum? I've suggested, unsuccesfully, a "sticky" "elsewhere", as they otherwise need frequent bump-ups,

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

EuroGA is doing a fly-in in May - see the banner at the top.

I think the general problem with creating too many sections in a forum is that you end up with sections containing virtually no postings, which then puts people off.

Also, I think that in the present weather not many people have aviation uppermost in their mind

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Adding to an old thread…

We have sticky threads now. For example the Carcassonne thread is sticky now.

Administrator

IIRC, wasn’t there a rather strong preference against stickies by most users?
Would it be possible for users to chose to at least hide stickies?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Apr 20:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Stickies will be used sparingly. The other day I saw a site with about five of them at the top of one section, and it is obvious nobody is going to read them.

Also, hiding a sticky would hide that thread and we hardly want to hide an important thread.

Administrator

Here are also already 2 stickies at the top of my page, in screaming red. One ( the classified section) was disturbing me already because the red is really yelling at you.

1 or 3, that makes no difference. Maybe you can put them in the banner instead of that note of learning to fly, with a direct link to the topic? That is not that yelling and a little more esthetic.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I guess you are looking at the Active Threads list, and yes it’s true that the two current stickies do appear there.

However they should not be bright red. The colour I see is a dark red.

It’s a good point about having a clickable link in the banner instead. I will see if I can find a way to do that.

Administrator

boscomantico wrote:

Would it be possible for users to chose to at least hide stickies?

You already can. Click on the thread, then click Hide. You can hide any thread, but stickies are slightly different in that they will unhide for you whenever a new post is made on the thread. Otherwise hiding it would defeat the point of it being sticky in the first place.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I don’t mind the stickies in the sub-sections but I would actually pay someone money if they would remove (or opt to hide) the big, blue banners of arbitrarily highlighted threads on the homepage.

It is the single point of entry for me to the site and I used to be able to quickly see what’s going on in terms of active threads. Now, on some days, it is an endless scrolling exercise and it’s not very pretty, either! It is, in my view, the single most annoying feature on the site.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

The highlights on the home page are a tradeoff.

EuroGA is fortunately relatively successful and as a result is a fast moving forum, so many people totally miss threads if the person has been away for a day or two.

Also many people miss out on fly-ins and then I get emails complaining they didn’t know One solution to that would be email digests but I equally know many people (myself included) really dislike the emails they get from some sites, every few days.

We do know that a LOT of people use just one link to enter EuroGA: the Active Threads one on the home page

If you bookmark that i.e.

http://www.euroga.org/forums/recent-threads

then you can avoid the rest of the home page content completely.

Administrator
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message