Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Links to youtu.be

I wanted to post a video from youtube, so I went to the page of the video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwO504223nA. I copied the link of the video by right clicking and selecting “Copy video URL”. The result was this url: . However when I pasted it in the forum as a video (no other text in the message, just the link), it was shown like this:

I then copied the actual url with youtube instead of youtu.be and it worked as expected. Strangely when I am trying to write this message here, the video sometimes gets parsed and sometimes not. I suppose it depends on if and what you have after the link because if I put a period at the end (for end of sentence) it works and if I don’t it doesn’t. Something like that, maybe some further checks can show if and when a problem arises.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 23 Oct 06:21
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Unfortunately youtube changes its URL format more often than a [pick your favourite obscene proverb]. Using your first URL I get this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwO504223nA

but using its proper format i.e.

inserts the actual video:

If I use the following URL (obtained by clicking the Share symbol under the video)

I get this

so again that worked OK.

So I think the problem here is using a URL starting with www, which doesn’t work in some other contexts too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I cannot reproduce it now either, Peter. The only thing I can now reproduce is that if I put a period at the end, it gets broken but not when it is the only text inside the message.

This is an example with a period at the end: +youtube+SwO504223nA.!

Last Edited by Vladimir at 23 Oct 06:44
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

+youtube+SwO504223nA.!

Administrator

+youtube+SwO504223nA.!

Yes you are right. A dot at the end breaks it.

Administrator

If you put a dot on the end it will break it. There is an easy solution though – don’t!!!

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

First time I tried to post only the link, nothing else in the message and the same happened – that’s why I wrote here. But maybe it was a glitch in the system (or mine )

Last Edited by Vladimir at 23 Oct 09:01
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Is there a way to get the start time to work on embedded you tube links? Euroga seems to strip the query string. I posted a video earlier but I could not get the forum software to process the link correctly.

Ted
United Kingdom

See this initially. There has to be a blank line after the YT URL.

Also playback starting times don’t work.

I think it would be expensive to address this.

You also can’t do clickable links with Youtube or Vimeo video URLs; that is intentional. You will always get the player appearing.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

[ correct; it doesn’t work ]

@peter It can work if you the append to the query string

string=xxx
e.g.
src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RQeBHSsL56o?start=271"

the t=123 parameter does not work with embeded youtube (or at least for me)

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs

Last Edited by Ted at 27 Jan 23:35
Ted
United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message