Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yet another feature request - members' homebases

10 Posts

Here’s the situation: often, when travelling (not only by GA but also by airline or by other means altogether) it would be nice to meet up with single members who happen to live / fly at that place. Be it just for a meet & greet, a beer, a tour of his aircraft or even doing a bimble together. But this obviously requires making contact beforehand.

However, currently, the only way this works here is if you a) remember from the back of your head that there was indeed a user flying out of xxxx ( the place where you were going, for unrelated reasons) and b) if you then remember his nick name, so you can send a PM.

The solution would be if, upon registration, users could enter their homebase ICAO code into a machine-readable field and if this would be stored in a database. Then, one could type “xxxx” into some mask in Euroga and find out if there was some user with that homebase (or within say 30 miles).

The even better version of this would be the integration of a google maps type thing, which alllows you to browse the European map which will show a flag for every participating user, at the corresponding place.

Would go a long way to making this more of a community than just a forum, no?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Good stuff.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Good idea

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

+1 Like the idea!

boscomantico wrote:

The even better version of this would be the integration of a google maps type thing, which alllows you to browse the European map which will show a flag for every participating user, at the corresponding place.

Good idea! Maybe the intensity of the flag on the map for a user could be based on the intensity (i.e. frequency) of posts so that very active members are more highlighted than less active members – though all participating ones should be visible, IMHO.

Could have used this last night in Gatwick and London.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

A good idea indeed, I am all for it, but yet: for practical reasons my plane is based a fair distance from where I live. Actually I have several more active aerodromes closer to home than the one I fly from. For example I could much more easily meet people flying into EBGB Grimbergen or even EBAW Antwerpen, both are closer and more convenient than EBZH where I was lucky to find a hangar place for my bird.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

agree, will support. CanĀ“t offer tour of my airplane as I have none, but good beer and wine around ;-)

LKKU, LKTB

Sounds like a good idea BUT I would be interested to know how many EuroGA pilots do not have an ICAO code for their home base. Mine is a private grass strip and no code!
Having said that anyone is welcome with a prior briefing.

UK, United Kingdom

It would require a database anyway. The Autorouter database would make sense.

If you don’t have a code for your airfield and the database doesn’t know your airfield, you could always insert the closest airfield which is in the database. It is more to locate if there are any members in the geographic vicinitiy of where one is going.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

… you could always insert the closest airfield which is in the database.

I should think that this is sufficiently close. Few people live “on the airfield” anyway, and many probably live closer to a large airport than to the field from where they fly. Around here this would be the case for the vast majority of private pilots!

EDDS - Stuttgart
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message