Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Old bizjet posts / other bizjet stuff

Where did the old bizjet posts go?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

When I read the thread title, I thought that somebody was about to advertise jobs (posts) on old bizjets – like Lockheed Jetstars, Sabreliners, Falcon 10 … I would have volunteered, but probably just briefly.

Regards the forum posts: “I’ve read things you people wouldn’t believe. Sabreliners on fire off the shoulder of runway 25L. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the N5 Gate. All those wonderful posts will be lost in time, like tears…in…rain. Time to talk about non certified stuff.” (as the Bizjet forum now seems to have become non-certified).

Last Edited by what_next at 16 Nov 14:17
EDDS - Stuttgart

The threads that were in BizJets are now in Hangar Talk. It’s not reflection on their content, it’s just we wanted to move them somewhere. The BizJet topic was too quiet to warrant a topic, so we’re trying a new one which hopefully with gather more interest.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Just read this which has a few anecdotes about bizarre passengers on chartered Legacy 650s https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-07-30/private-jet-secrets-from-sex-to-pets-to-celebrity-bad-behavior

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Oh boy…. Our passengers sure keep the job interesting! I would never change it for an airline job.
I can say that within one year I learned to organize a fine bottle of Montrachet no matter where, no matter when ;-)

LEBL, Spain

Apart i’ll call b.s on most of this article, if someone is as frustrated with their job, they should move on.

What I hear from people who do this job in Europe, most of the time it is all about being on time and work on the jet. Clearly there will be exceptions, but they are not the rule. Trying to make people believe that executive jet transport is mostly about these issues is simply wrong and comes out of the envy corner of society, who would like to believe just that. Most biz jet users do use them for exactly the purpose they are designed for, to save time, to make their own schedule as far as possible and to travel in relative comfort while being able to either catch up on sleep or work. Certainly there may be oddballs and society stars who may do different things, but I would not think they are the norm, at least not over here. Of course in the US and between certain destinations that may well be different, but I would be surprised if not also there the major purpose of biz jets is to get their passengers from a to b fast and reliably at a schedule of their choosing.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

We used to have a bizjet pilot on the forum who was pretty frustrated with the job, complaining about his clients, etc.

Yes; pure envy. If someone doesn’t like it, they can go and work for Ryanair. Plenty of non-rich customers who probably consume similar amounts of alcohol

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The lifestyle of corporate pilots is sufficiently nomadic that crew seem to self select. Am not talking heavy iron corporate flight departments of major blue chip companies, which are run very smoothly in top class equipment and passengers are senior or middle managers busying with their spreadsheets.

The personal biz jet scene, the crew are cooks, bottle washers, and short order pilots. Not unusual for destination to be changed while the owners are driving onto the apron. Duty hours are an aspiration and you are somewhere below the main household/mayordomo/driver on the entourage pecking order. I have even known crew kipping in the ‘plane as the overnight turnaround was so short.

Most owners will not have special requests, and it is good practice to keep a formal distance, the go or no-go decision is still the crew’s!

Some owners, usually featured in the Sunday papers, are a real piece of work. Anyone who has spent time in the Nice crew room will match the article cited, admittedly with elements of embroidery.

Long haul you are spending several hours prepping linen, food, before off blocks. Expect to be cooling your heels in remote places for weeks, albeit while being paid.

In North America definitely a stepping stone to Part 121 Airline work, unless it is, say the G650 of an S&P30 fleet at White Plains. From flying 200 to 300 hours a year, to the airline’s 880 hours is a culture shock.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Not unusual for destination to be changed while the owners are driving onto the apron. Duty hours are an aspiration and you are somewhere below the main household/mayordomo/driver on the entourage pecking order. I have even known crew kipping in the ‘plane as the overnight turnaround was so short.Most owners will not have special requests, and it is good practice to keep a formal distance, the go or no-go decision is still the crew’s!

In one lounge recall some PAX was asking if they can go to some funky place in the Bahamas, and were pissed off to hear that the crew will have to arrange a boat trip for them instead of flying straight there, I looked at the airport someone mentioned in the map would have been marginal for C172 and will invalidate my rental agreement, let alone fit a Honda Jet

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

From accounts I’ve heard, the Biz-Jet jockey job is closely aligned with the superyacht crew job.

In one corner you’re treated with respect and the rewards and perks are good.
In the other corner it’s quite shocking how things are done.
I knew a Pilot that would absolutely have to keep an overnight bag for every trip (that was supposed to be a day trip) and often slept in the jet, lounge or crap local hotel.
I knew experienced and qualified yacht crew who were to be seen and not heard, mostly not seen. They were never allowed to enjoy the yacht in down time and never allowed in the sea to swim when guests or owners were aboard (sometimes for weeks).
A family member spent a year as yacht crew and ate like a king with the family and captain, was encouraged to use all the toys, and left to use the Yacht within reason as they pleased (he and the Captain) when the owner was away!!
Somewhere there will be a Jet-Jockey with a similar deal but I’ve never met one.

United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message