Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do not use invalid or throwaway email addresses to sign up to EuroGA, and check your email address is still valid

We have just emailed all registered users (those who haven’t logged in for a while) about the site updates.

Some of the email addresses have bounced back.

Obviously this is of no immediate concern to you but the new private messaging facility isn’t going to work if your email address is invalid.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, are you’re referring here to the visible Email in the user profile, or the Email address which is used to login ?
I did not get any email although I know the email function works (I receive automatic notifications on Watched Threads).

Last Edited by lenthamen at 15 Nov 08:50

Didn’t receive anything. The email however works, I just sent myself a test message.

It’s the registration email one uses for signing in, not the one on the profile.

Only people who had not logged in for the past week were emailed. The “regulars” will have seen it under the IT/Website section.

Administrator

In the last few days I have not been receiving email reports on watched threads that get new posts.
I checked my spam folder and there’s nothing’s in there from euroga.org .
I am on gmail.
Anything changed ?

LGMG Megara, Greece

Gmail.com has in the past bounced a large % of emails from absolutely legitimate senders.

I don’t know why they do this but they obviously aren’t using the nowadays standard antispam system whereby you monitor incoming traffic across your entire client base, for similar patterns.

Incidentally I wonder how easy it is to maliciously mark somebody as a spammer?

Last Edited by Peter at 16 Jul 15:30
Administrator

We don’t do more than a few mailing a year – mostly concerning fly-ins – and each time a number of addresses bounce back.

Obviously the person is not contactable via PMs, won’t receive notifications, etc.

Furthermore, to reduce the chances of EuroGA being labelled as a spammer, we don’t want to mail them again so we edit them with a prefix which prevents new emails going to them.

This then prevents that person logging in again

So, please keep your Contact Email in your Profile up to date. It isn’t visible to others (not even to registered members) and we don’t sell them, etc.

The PM system on EuroGA is nowadays solid. If you still believe you are not receiving PMs or notifications, see this. Gmail and others are behaving really stupidly. Also you can check for incoming messages in your Profile under User to User Messages.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Also you can check for incoming messages in your Profile under User to User Messages.

Neato! How about a notification of an unread message upon login / refresh of page?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I have just done a mailing about the Brac fly-in in September.

It went only to people who have logged in within the last 12 months. This is done for several reasons, one of which is the much reduced chance of the sender being labelled as a spammer.

However again a number of people are registered here with email addresses which bounce for various reasons.

Please can you go into your profile and check yours is still valid

If it isn’t, you won’t get PMs from other users. Also, after some time, you won’t be able to login.

Thank you

Administrator

I have just done another mailing (about the Denmark fly-in in May) and as usual a bunch of email addresses have bounced back as invalid.

These addresses have been blocked from further mailings*, which (the way we do it) has the side effect of blocking the person’s forum login.

So if you cannot log in, I suggest you sort out your email address so it works again (or sort out a new one) and drop me a line and I will fix it up.

* this is done because hitting too many duff email addresses puts the sender onto blacklists, and then lots of others won’t receive the emails.

Also, if you have not logged in for a year, you won’t get any mailings anyway. This is because when we used to include the members who had not visited for ages, we got many people reporting us as a spammer. There is no advantage to you in logging out anyway and you just lose the forum features like the list of unread posts.

Administrator
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message