Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 Down in North Sea

RobertL18C wrote:

Really not sure why the PPL doesn’t include some formal CRM, it wouldn’t be too onerous for schools/clubs to implement, and could be progressed for other ratings.

I recall reading somewhere that the FAA is looking into that. Other than that (and that’s thread drift), they also have come out with new guidance for instructors.

Partial quote:
The FAA also notes that, while modern avionics and flight automation equipment deliver enormous safety benefits, over-reliance on such technology can create hazards of its own. To help mitigate those hazards, the FAA reminds CFIs conducting flight reviews and IPCs to “ensure that a pilot under evaluation is proficient” with any avionics and automated systems in the aircraft and “knows what to do if it fails.”

In my opinion, fancy modern avionics on big screens give a false impression of aircraft capability. Yes, the Cirrus has top notch “software”, but the “hardware” is not matching the software… It still has only one piston powerplant prone to low performance, no pressurization and limited deicing depending on fluid remaining.

- The Pilot gets a transition training and has to know what the airplane can do and cannot do. The capability is clear.
- The SR20 is a VFR airplane with limited IFR capability and has no business of flying into such weather, and the pilot who had his PPL for 12 years could have known that
- the SR20 has no anticing/TKS system, so “fluid remaining” is no factor
- in severe icing “fluid remaining” is irrelevant, because TKS cannot save the Cirrus /SR22) in severe icing

Okay, sorry for the “nonsense”, but it’s really not the airplane’s or manufacturers fault.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 08 Jan 23:26

Don’t worry, I get that it is not the manufacturer’s fault at all. The big question mark is why over and over again people embark on these suicidal missions.

Reminds of a DA42 that crashed in the alps.. Very bad weather (IMC), darkness and then trying to get into LOGO…crazy!

Not implying this had anything to do with it today in general I would not underestimate the “mindset” problem… “i am stepping up from a C172. I pick up this super avionics Cirrus. Sure, I feel a little uneasy, but I’ll be fine because, I mean, it IS a Cirrus, look at those screens.”

I have had heated discussions with fellow pilots who forgot what e.g a first generation DA42 really is – an airbus cockpit with a glider attached, suitable perfectly for VFR and light IMC, but not for real ice and low vis.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 08 Jan 23:39
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

The big question mark is why over and over again people embark on these suicidal missions.

Beats me as well. What makes people fly into wx they must KNOW will kill them. I just don’t get it.

Btw – where’s LOGO ? Doesn’t seem to feature in the Austrian ICAO list of airports / airfields….

Niederöblarn Airport, Austria LOGO

@Snoopy

This time i got you better. Agree completely. I can never understand why pilots kill themselves in our spamcans … but this one is even crazier, because not even the chute could have saved him …

Silvaire wrote:

Niederöblarn Airport, Austria

Ouch! I’ve actually flown into there years ago. In bad wx in darkness…… thanks, but no, thanks.

PS: Thanks, Silvaire

LOGO is Niederoblarn. Here are the Charts from the site of the local club.

Charts Niederoblarn

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

RobertL18C wrote:

some formal CRM

No amount of training will fix stupid or suicidal. There are dummy’s making basic mistakes at all levels of aviation that end up getting a lot of people killed. ATP level included.

USFlyer wrote:

No amount of training will fix stupid or suicidal. There are dummy’s making basic mistakes at all levels of aviation that end up getting a lot of people killed. ATP level included.

Very true. Assuming the weather had something to with it: Do you think that this pilot was so very different to any of us?

What keeps us from meeting the same fate?

Sure, check the weather and call of the flight, easy. But if it is so easy why is this happening so frequently?

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message