Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Smart watch - any benefit to pilots?

I've got one of the Citizen Red Arrow watches. It is useful if you change the time zone twice a week. But a watch with a WAAS GPS is a bit OTT, imagine the cost for the Jepp subscription. lol

United Kingdom

I wonder if Superman has got one? ;)

EGSC

I've read (in the Sunday Times) that the Casio similar to the F-91W-1XY is now a classic. The only problem with them is that the strap eventually breaks but I solved this problem by buying and fitting a cheap leather strap. The current one has been running for 4 years and gains about 10 seconds in 2 months it shows time 12/24, waterproof to 50M, has stop and lapsed time, audible alarm and can be back-lit. all for a £5-00.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

For the past 8 years or so I regularly use my PP dual time watch when flying and flight planning for easy conversion between UTC and local. it has two hour hands, one an offset of the other adjustable by the side buttons which retard or advance the offset. Expensive, and probably the last watch I will ever own, but dead handy.

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

When Peter said "get close to one of these" which referring to, the plane or the women?

As a present I got bought one of those Casio things with altitude, compass and baro. pressure on it... I did think it was cool at first, but actually never used it in vane. Found it too fiddly. All I use is just a bog-standard analogue watch, I find it easier with a clock face that a digital... can remember a shape or point on the clock face rather than a number.

EDHS, Germany

Anyone tried this out yet?

http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Garmin-D2-Pilot-Watch+2841

Last Edited by Jude098 at 18 Nov 10:17
EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

We have just been told by Garmin to expect the first delivery at the beginning of December – but it has been reviewed in Flyer magazine.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 18 Nov 11:50
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

From what I have seen on a few forums is that a few people are talking about it, but no one saying they will buy it. I wont. I actually quite like the watch, but I much prefer my Citizen Red Arrows watch, and have little practical use for the D2 watch. And thanks, I dont feel so bad now for having created EuroGA’s first watch thread, after it having gone just over 1 whole year without such a thread having been started ;-)

I am sure many think EuroGA is a bit too high brow at times, so don’t feel bad about this

I wonder when Jeppesen are going to bring out a product called JeppD2, showing the Jepp plates, with the missed approach procedure, the minima, and all textual information stripped out.

If Garmin have done the job properly, they will have an appstore for it. These days, nothing deserves to succeed unless it has the proper ecosystem.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Piper Archer wrote “But from what I have seen on a few forums is that a few people are talking about it, but no one saying they will buy it”

Funny – I cannot get enough to satisfy demand

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message