Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Too many sticky threads?

Sorry, while we are at it, I have to comment on the main page again. I mentioned this before but I think I have a lobby within euroga similar in proportion of the GA population towards “rest of world”. Am I the only frequent user using the main page? I do that because on different devices I simply type the URL “euroga.org” and use that page as a starting point. Further, although I’m always logged in, the top bar which contains the “Active Threads” link sometimes only appears when refreshing the page after the initial load.

Anyway, regardless of WHY I use the main page:

It has become a bit trashed up recently. Besides the sticky posts (which I agree with there are too many), there’s these huge banners. I get their idea, but when limiting the stickies to 5, I think it would be equally sensible to limit the banners to one, actually.

Then the order of the stickies on this page is arbitrary! That is actually a problem because when revisiting after a while and trying to identify if anything new has been added, you actually have to read every sticky thread’s preview text because their order on this page does NOT correspond the latest added message (why?).

I understand I could change my habits, but a) I see as my age progresses, that becomes harder and harder and b) I really do think the front page would provide more value to any user if it were a little cleaner. I liked it much more about a year ago or so.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Am I the only frequent user using the main page?

Nope! I use the main page too. I never visit the active threads, unless I’m looking for a specific thread that has gone off the main page.

But I visit the main page a few times per day, so it’s rare a thread will pass off there without me reading it.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the main page (other than easier typing, which in my case is not relevant as chrome knows most typed and suggests the active threads first as soon as I type “e” in my address bar)

For me, it’s just because it is the home page. I don’t see any advantage in going to the active threads page, so have always just gone to the home page. Habit maybe.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

But I visit the main page a few times per day, so it’s rare a thread will pass off there without me reading it.

You will miss many threads if you only look at the base euroga.org page. The average post rate on EuroGA is about 100/day.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I go straight to the Active Threads page – never use the main landing page except to access the link to Autorouter

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 25 Jan 14:31
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

What reason is there, though, to make the main page (which is the “main” page, after all) “worse”/less usable than the active threads page and recommend everyone to use some other sub-page instead? Does that make a lot of sense from a UI perspective?

Would you be open to forge a main page that provides the advantages of the active threads page while still being an open and inviting landing page to the Euroga community for new users, too?

(Example: One, maybe two banners and then the content of the active threads page right below that – with 5 stickies max)

You will miss many threads if you only look at the base euroga.org page. The average post rate on EuroGA is about 100/day.

But the average new threads per day is far fewer. Only threads are listed on the front page. If here is more than 10 new threads per day, then I don’t have time to read them all, and the popular ones will be on the front page anyway

I don’t think I miss anything by going to the main page, as most of the same threads stay there all day. It’s extremely rare that I look and find that the last thread on the front page is one that I haven’t seen before.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The more I think about it, a “active / recent” page with no stickies at all makes more sense: The only thing I might miss is not to see an old thread I had never read that gets resuscitated, and no one participates in that thread. I am perfectly happy with that “risk” for the added convenience of not seeing any sticky in the first place :)

Sign in to add your message