Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Too many sticky threads?

We now need views from people who don’t access EuroGA frequently

The regulars don’t need any of this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I could stay away for a week and then offer my views again? Sorry. Too tempting.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Y’all know you can hide sticky threads, right? In fact you can hide any thread, but a sticky thread will re-appear when a new post is made on it, whereas a normal thread won’t.

As for the “main page” (not sure why we’re not calling it the home page; I thought that was a pretty widely accepted term) the design hasn’t changed for years. The only variation is in the number of “featured” posts, which the ones that show the content of the first post and the avatars of the posters.

The reason the home page is as it is, as distinct from the active threads page, is because it’s the landing page for a new user (assuming they’ve not found the site by googling a specific topic, which is actually how people are more likely to find the site) and teases them into conversations that might want to read in a way that the active threads page does not. The assumption is that most (not all, clearly) people who return regularly will bookmark the active threads page or as they start typing euroga their browser will notice that they usually go there and offer that as one of the first auto-complete options.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

David wrote:

Y’all know you can hide sticky threads, right? In fact you can hide any thread, but a sticky thread will re-appear when a new post is made on it, whereas a normal thread won’t.

I didn’t know! What happens if the thread is hidden when sticky, becomes unsticky, then a new post? would I see it again?
Where do I see the list of hidden threads?

David wrote:

Y’all know you can hide sticky threads, right? In fact you can hide any thread, but a sticky thread will re-appear when a new post is made on it, whereas a normal thread won’t

I’ve hidden all sticky threads, but they do appear on the home page (fair point about the terminology), still. Any chance they could be hidden on the home page, too? It makes no difference to new visitors as they’re not logged in and haven’t hidden anything, but it does make the home page more usable for those regular users who – for one reason or another – like to use it.

David wrote:

The reason the home page is as it is, as distinct from the active threads page, is because it’s the landing page for a new user […] and teases them into conversations that might want to read in a way that the active threads page does not

I understand that. I don’t mean to disregard that – just offering a hopefully constructive view that the downside of the banners is that, more often than not, the home page these days looks rather cluttered. The less banners, the more aesthetic (to new visitors, too?) the page appears, especially on smaller screens.

Last Edited by Patrick at 26 Jan 11:13
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

The forum is generally very good, and I don’t contribute much, so it seems churlish to ‘complain’, but, yes, I do find the that so many sticky threads tend to clutter things up (needlessly). I access the forum via Active Threads, and would like to see sticky threads limited to two, maximum.

Bordeaux

Well. Has anybody herr ever voted in favour of stickies??

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Jan 09:59
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The forum is generally very good, and I don’t contribute much, so it seems churlish to ‘complain’, but, yes, I do find the that so many sticky threads tend to clutter things up (needlessly). I access the forum via Active Threads, and would like to see sticky threads limited to two, maximum.

As David mentions above, this is an issue only for people who are logged-out.

On most websites you lose context when logged out. It makes no difference to what the server sees of who is active. It is merely current best-practice to require a login to present user-specific context. So, logging out achieves absolutely nothing useful.

And on many sites you can’t even get in to read anything.

Given that we have nine sections here, having just two stickies in total would be difficult. For example many many people never see the threads about fly-ins – until they get the email – and others say after the fly-in they never heard of it.

Has anybody herr ever voted in favour of stickies??

No, but all people like an informative forum, and it won’t be informative if people don’t post informative stuff. EuroGA is not a €300/year aviation newspaper. It needs people to see threads and contribute to them, and preferably also start new ones.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

No, but all people like an informative forum, and it won’t be informative if people don’t post informative stuff. EuroGA is not a €300/year aviation newspaper. It needs people to see threads and contribute to them, and preferably also start new ones.

Agree wholeheartedly but fail to see the connection with stickies

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

See my earlier posts.

Stickies bring in more posts from people who make good contributions but don’t visit often enough. There are quite a lot of these posters.

They are also good for events.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message