Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Android phone-phone sync

This is not GA related but maybe somebody knows…

I have

• Samsung S7 (my phone, android v6, and I am not updating to v7)
  • Samsung S6 (my backup phone, android v5, and I can’t update because it is rooted)
  • Samsung T705 tablet (a general use tablet, android v4.4.2, and I can’t update because it is rooted)

Is there an app which can copy the following from the S7 to the two others:

• contacts
  • sms messages
  • specified directories (folders) e.g. …./DCIM/camera or /DCIM/videos

and which supports the external SD card (there are issues on v5 and v6).

I know about “google sync” but the way it works is bizzare. Sometimes, a few hundred photos and videos appear on the S6 which were taken on the S7, moved to my PC etc and deleted. Then, weeks later they appear on the S6. And I have the google sync disabled on the S6 (only) under Settings / Backup & Restore. And even after a lot of googling I can’t find a description of how this function is supposed to work. It claims to sync “app data” but there is no per-app config. And it doesn’t work to the T705, even though sync is enabled there. There is no config for when the sync is supposed to be done… it is all committee-designed dumbed-down crap.

I have also had contact book entries reappear, weeks or months after they were deleted from that device. But it wasn’t a straight copy from another device because only the mobile # was present, whereas the other device had the # and the email…

I guess I have a lot of crap stored in the “google cloud” but have no idea how to access this, see what it is, edit it, etc. There is also no per-app restore function anywhere, and the global restore only restores the data for google’s own apps (it does contacts but not sms for example; for sms you need a separate 3rd party app). Ideally I would just like to delete all the crap in the “cloud”, and use some app to sync the stuff explicitly.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Сontacts can be exported and imported to/from VCF directly in the Android built-in contacts app. This is a simple, human-readable, standardised file format supported by virtually every platform. The only potential incompatibility I know occurs when you have non-ASCII characters in the contact fields.

For messages, there are third-party backup applications. Again, you export them to a file and can restore them elsewhere.

For directories full of files, I use a regular two-panel file manager with network support. My favourite is X-Plore.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

When I got my current Android phone I used an app called “PhoneCopy” to transfer my stuff from the old one (which was not even running Android but Windows mobile). That app also works between Android and Android of course. But I don’t know if it can perform all the tasks Peter is asking for… but it can be tried out for free, they only charge something if the number of addresses exceeds a certain limit.

EDDS - Stuttgart
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message