Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What happens to some of the new threads (and business participation on EuroGA)

I am subscribed to get informed when a new thread is posted and recently I’ve seen that the link leads to nowhere when I click on it, i.e. the thread is missing. Some of them were definitely spam/scam, so I suppose @Peter deletes them. However, sometimes the title seems to be a normal one, like this from 3 hours ago:

UK to USA Trans-Atlantic, 20-30 June

and it was created by ‘@Sam_Rutherford

http://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/7670-uk-to-usa-trans-atlantic-20-30-june

This thread is also missing. Did it have a problem and was deleted? Or was it just moved?

Last Edited by Vladimir at 19 Apr 07:58
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

An advertisement was deleted.

I told the poster several times he can advertise his business if he contributes usefully but he just makes some immaterial little post or two and chucks in an advertisement….

Businesses who contribute on EuroGA make a lot of money from it, so the least they can do is contribute to the community.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Got it, thanks @Peter

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

LOL! I saw Sam posted a few posts on old topics last night, and thought “Oh….an Advert must be coming from him!”.

I had a look around and was confused when I didn’t find any! Obviously it came later and Peter rightly deleted it.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Actually it would be great if we could have a business directory for GA companies and their services offered, IF users were also allowed to post their genuine reviews alongside without possible threats if those happened to be less than perfect. The obligation not to threaten litigation would have to be one condition of appearing in that listing. So if you want a review removed, you would need to remove the whole listing.

I’m thinking maintenance, flight training, handling and pilot/aircraft supplies for example… I don’t think anyone looking for such a service would be annoyed by the commercial nature of such listings, but on the other hand when I browse a forum I don’t want to see posts which are advertising either. One guy advertising his AOA retrofit on COPA became kind of legendary over there for always slipping in his commercials in different, new threads that he opened about seemingly unrelated issues (like a safety report from the NTSB, then proposing his AOA as a cure-all). That way of advertising alone makes me not want to buy it.

But GA is a very small world, even under these conditions I suppose not every experience would be posted.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 19 Apr 12:31

We really do want to acquire and maintain the contributions from technically qualified posters, and many/most of them are people who actually work in the respective business sector.

I am always “all ears” when it comes to suggestions, but having spoken to David about it I think the current system (people who usefully contribute can mention their services) works best.

It is apparently possible to generate e.g. avionics business well into 5 figures a year just by making good contributions here on EuroGA, associated openly with the business name. Most forums will not permit this – they want to sell advertising! So I don’t see the issue for the prospective contributor. If I was one of them, I would jump at the chance! I would post informatively and politely, etc. It’s a no-brainer really.

We also have the Classified section where outright adverts can be placed. We get a fair number of approaches of advertising and we send them there. For some reason most don’t seem to go for it

There are a number of reasons (discussed previously, in our early days) why we don’t have straight advertising, in the usual form of banners next to the forum. But more specifically there are issues with accepting advertising (and a business directory would be one such) from a company which for example does poor work. If you run a site which carries adverts then you have to run whoever pays you (within some broad limits) but I would not be happy to carry adverts from some firms, with the implicit endorsement of EuroGA as to the quality of their work, when I know otherwise from direct experience…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

For some reason most don’t seem to go for it

I think I see the reason: nobody goes to that section so advertising there does not have value. I’ve used a similar service on another aviation web site and the effect was zero. Probably that’s the reason why sites with ads on the side of the content are commercially more successful.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 19 Apr 21:37
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Lots of people go to the Classified section; also due to EuroGA having very good SEO it comes up in searches.

But for sure adverts on the main site would be more visible. And a lot more expensive to advertise in

Administrator

If you run a site which carries adverts then you have to run whoever pays you (within some broad limits) but I would not be happy to carry adverts

I think what I proposed was different from carrying ads. A business directory with customer reviews is not the same thing as carrying ads. If someone wanted to get listed which you think did bad service, you could be the first to post your experience below it :). Or point those you know were unsatisfied to the listing for them to provide their feedback. Those that are left in the end would be good companies. ;)

I doubt most people would post bad experiences.

I have had a legal action threat from a well known UK shop, the one which originally bodged my TCAS install, just for mentioning something negative (and 100% truthful). Also many aircraft owners are still within the warranty period on the work done and they won’t say anything.

Some that I know of will even report positively, after having got severe issues.

So, it’s not easy…

And that’s before you get into the “Tripadvisor problem” where companies pay people to write good reports. Someone I know sat on an airline flight the other day next to two guys who had “report writing” as a full time job! In GA the most likely scenario is that the company employees will post good reports – I have seen this on forums plenty of times. This covert stuff goes on because most forums don’t allow the business to post under their name.

Whereas if somebody is participating here generally and usefully, putting in a bit of effort, posting good detailed advice, they will get loads of business, and every potential customer with a brain will know that this guy knows what he’s doing.

Administrator
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message