Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another iPad Question. Sorry!

Now I own the third iPad. The first was of the second generation. The second was the first iPad Air and now it is the iPad Pro 10.5. Just to add something to the overheating issue. The first iPad was white, the second black and the third is white again. And you may know what is the reason for writing this: I had overheating shutdowns nearly on every flight with iPad no. 2, the black one. Never had a shutdown with the no. 1 nor with the actual one. So beside all the mentioned facts, without aircondition, the color is an important factor too.

EDDS , Germany

In my own aircraft I have a Garmin GLO external GPS on the coaming, protected by a white plastic cover.

When I train in students’ own aircraft, I use the internal GPS.

I do about 100 hours of each a year, so have a reasonable experience base to draw on.

It works better, across a wide range of aircraft, with the GLO than without.

Honest

EGKB Biggin Hill

Same thing with my dual x160.. but the difference is so marginal that I mostly stopped taking it. Both my pro 10.5 and air2 work really well.

Not having to worry about taking/charging the GPS receiver is a big plus.

I have been wanting to update my iPad mini3 for aviation use for some time but have been waiting for the supposed iPad mini5 to be released.
Alexis, from no further comment I take it your friends were not allowed to speak on the subject.
Do you or anybody have any update on this?

By coincedence I’ll be visited by some friends from Apple in S.F. this weekend (and fly them around ;-)), and since two of them are Product Managers they should know – I will ask and report back. They might not be allowed to speak about it though.

TB Jockey
YCFS, Australia

Alexis is long gone…

FWIW, and this is worth what you are paying for it, I have heard various rumours that the Ipad mini 4 is soon to be discontinued.

Hopefully others here might have better info.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Ipad Mini has not been discontinued – here is the new one.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

here is the new one.

With a pen which works great for clearances! (until it rolls under the seat but that’s a different thing!)

Peter wrote:

The Ipad Mini has not been discontinued – here is the new one.

Aha! I was just about to buy one. Good thing I was procrastinating.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There is one for sale in Marketplace.

Administrator
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message