Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which satellite device to buy...

We have finally decided to make the trip to Oshkosh next year, so we’ll be flying across the big puddle and I am keen to get some satellite device to help get latest weather and also stay connected. (SMS, Phone, etc…)
I am trying to figure out which device to acquire – should I go for the Garmin inReach which seems to connect natively to the Garmin Pilot app, which is helpful for weather but doesn’t have any phone capability (I think that’s crucial). This works on the Iridium technology it appears. So why not go for an Iridium go? But then I am not sure how well that connects to the Garmin app for weather radar overlays etc.. From what I have read you can get it to connect to your phone to make calls, text and email.

Does anyone have any advice? Experience they’d be willing to share? Thanks Wim

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I cannot see that Garmin inReach together with the Garmin Pilot app gives aviation weather.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviation/garmin-pilot-version-8-6-new-features-enhancements/

inReach Integration
We recently announced the launch of the inReach SE+ and inReach Explorer+, satellite communicators featuring global Iridium satellite coverage for two-way messaging and SOS alerting anywhere in the world. Garmin Pilot version 8.6 includes Bluetooth pairing with these two new devices, providing GPS location data and the capability to send text messages from Garmin Pilot. A satellite subscription is required to take advantage of these features.

ESTL

Iridium go is completely useless for internet access. It works tolerably with the Aeroplus weather app, and for phone calls. You will not have a chance of downloading weather on GP with it.

Last Edited by JasonC at 01 Nov 09:39
EGTK Oxford

If what you need is weather, tracking and SOS, I suggest ADL from Sebastian Golze. With the trip packs, it is fairly inexpensive to own when you don’t need it often.

If you really need phone call ability (for clearances and to calm your mum every 30 min), I would rent an extra Iridium phone. They are not so expensive to rent and there are lots of companies offering rental sat phones.

achimha wrote:

If you really need phone call ability (for clearances and to calm your mum every 30 min), I would rent an extra Iridium phone. They are not so expensive to rent and there are lots of companies offering rental sat phones.

I am lead to believe when no long range radio is installed – sat com is obligatory now for trans atlantic crossings. Am planning to fly the longer crossing – going more direct Iceland to Saint John versus the Greenland route. Seems like some sort of Sat Phone device would not be a bad item to have regardless to provide updates which would otherwise be impossible to relay?

AFAIK, Greenland (or Canada) does no longer accept a satphone in lieu of HF. So if you don’t get HF, I am afraid you have to fly the northerly routes.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

AFAIK, Greenland (or Canada) does no longer accept a satphone in lieu of HF. So if you don’t get HF, I am afraid you have to fly the northerly routes.

That’s my understanding too:

From TransCanada

What’s required:

Exceptions:

This is interesting too: http://220kts.com/ferry-flights/atlantic-ferry-routes.html

From a brief read, you can use SatCom when HF quality is not good, but you can’t use it to substitude the requirement to have HF on board.

Last Edited by Noe at 01 Nov 16:01

Yep HF definitely required unless you go sondrestrom iqualuit or 250 or above on the Narsarsuaq route.

EGTK Oxford

having done that route without uhf
easiest for slow airplanes would be oshkosh, sault st marie, sept isles, iqualuit, sonderstrom, keflafik most legs are short and reasonable fess for fuel and landing facilities
probably one more stop between SSM and sept isles depending on your range

KHQZ, United States

Thanks everyone, very good input. Does anyone know of portable HF solutions that would be allowed?

22 Posts
Sign in to add your message