Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there a way to display unread threads?

In other forums I frequently visit, there is a feature to show only those threads that have (new to me) posts. Active Threads comes close to that, but I prefer to see only those that have the little “new” behind the thread title and not those, that I already read.

Is there a way to get this or can this be implemented?

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

There isn’t something that is precisely what you ask for. Active Threads does effectively the same thing though – as you mention, any with “New” by them have new posts that you’ve not seen, and given they’re in reverse chronological order, all the threads listed with New by them come first. So the list you’re after is everything from the start of the list until when the word New stops appearing. Hope that helps.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

But the problem is if the list has 100 entries with new and I start to read entry 20-50, then these are still displayed when I reload active threads and hence there is a gap. So for my personal usage behaviour this is not fulfilling the purpose. Shouldn’t it be relatively easy to provide a filter like my suggestion where I can see only unread active threads?

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Fair enough. We don’t currently have that feature. I’m afraid it’s unlikely that it will be added any time soon. Whilst we do have the data internally, it will require creating new functionality that doesn’t currently exist, together with testing and so forth and that’s quite a bit of effort, however simple it might appear. Not only would we have to custom built it for EuroGA, which doesn’t generate any revenue to pay for such endeavours, this is the first request we’ve had for it in several years. I’m not saying other people wouldn’t like it too, but there isn’t an overwhelming demand for it. Sorry I can’t be more help on this occasion – if it was a 15 minute job I would do it.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your open words, David. I will live with it and so do others. If you decide otherwise and should need a tester one day, just let me know.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

I know this sounds a bit silly but the real issue seems to be that users who visit the forum relatively rarely cannot keep up with the new posts. And there isn’t a great solution for that.

We get best part of 100 posts per day and it is still slowly rising, and unless you read them all, there will always be unread posts, and they will accumulate.

But maybe I have misunderstood, which is well possible because I read the forum mostly via a different “mod feed” which is just a linear (thread-less) list of all posts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well for me it works with the method I described. With a collection of all unread threads you can pick those that you currently have time for. And those that you decide to read later don’t get forgot. Sometimes there is only a small backlog, sometimes it tends to grow. But on average I can keep up with the pace of every forum I read so far.

But right now I am stuck with the proposed way to go through them in the reverse order of last posts. And that makes it bit unhandy.

E.g. in a 5 minute break I maybe only want to review the threads I participated in (from Mine), but when I read them, I already cut gaps in the Active Threads list.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Peter wrote:

know this sounds a bit silly but the real issue seems to be that users who visit the forum relatively rarely cannot keep up with the new posts. And there isn’t a great solution for that.

I for one consider myself a regular, and I would find such a feature useful. The issue is not really longer absences, but it arises at any time I do not read all interesting stuff in one go. In fact, I believe it occurs frequently when I actually post something longer, since that interrupts the “let’s read some new stuff” session, and by the time I am back it is difficult to find the place where I left off.

Biggin Hill

Well, what I would really like is a Mailing List / NNTP gateway, which would allow me to use my own software of choice, with the features I want, etc. Next best thing is getting the new posts with body by email.

ELLX

No it is a bad website.

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message