Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice on video camera

I’d like to get one, strictly for aviation. My requirements:

• willing to pay for superb image quality & stability.
  • would be nice to have no prop effect like on phones.
  • suction cup mounting (lots of canopy space inside)
  • easy user interface
  • mainly in-cockpit use, but sometimes would do outside mounting as well (upto 120 KIAS)
  • no need for ultra-long recording, sections of a flight will do (so voice activated?)
  • insofar relevant, I’m a Mac user (editing)

I have a 12V outlet in the cockpit but not even one of these twelve Volties is certified

GoPro? If so, which model?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

GoPro Hero 6 or Garmin Virb Ultra 30

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I don’t have a PC but none of the action cams will remove the propeller. Only a semi pro camera will. I will search for previous threads when I get home but somewhere is a thread about this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But there is a difference between the perfectionist approach of Peter and what is acceptable to most other mortals

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I’ve used a compact digital on movie mode. Seldom any frozen prop, never the multi-scimitar effect. Just the prop disc, which I find acceptable.
I tried a Canon HG10 years ago, with unpredictable weird results. I think it tried to stabilise the image on the prop at certain revs. The whole world went wobbly jelly at times.
I’m considering trying a DSLR, if I have a new shared aircraft this month.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter_Mundy wrote:

But there is a difference between the perfectionist approach of Peter and what is acceptable to most other mortals

Of course a true perfectionist would put the motors on the wing and then the problem goes away. .

Mounting a camera on the wing of a UL is easy enough and produces great results.

Administrator

Of course a true perfectionist would put the motors on the wing and then the problem goes away.

or on top of the fuselage

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Some posts of interest are here.

If I was going for a Go-Pro I would go for the Session which I think is aerodynamically better than the normal Go-Pro

but I still think the Sony X3000 is the best (but needs the waterproof housing for outside mounting)

Administrator

Can anybody recommend a camera with the following requirements: 1) to be used inside the cockpit (no need outside), 2) showing/recording its own g-meter and 3d speed vector (for aerobatics videos) 3) can withstand heat from being exposed to strong sun all the time (I have a Hero 4 and will freeze after 5min of recording under the sun). I guess the third point can benefit most from real-world EuroGA reports. thanks

Last Edited by mancival at 22 Aug 09:47
United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message