Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CryoCharts - A VFR app

As some of you might already know, I have been voluntarily working on the Open Flightmaps project for a few years now. I am the contributor and maintainer of the charts for Sweden and Greece.

A few months ago I made a very simple Android app for personal use. All I wanted was to display the OFM charts in my phone and nothing else. I didn’t want to open the browser since it was slow and sluggish. I showed the app to a few fellow pilots at the local field and they asked me where they can get it. When I said that I only have it on my phone they got sad.

So I finally decided to release the app to the Google Play Store in Beta testing mode. Since the first version of the app I have added a few more features (3 basemap styles, GPS location with heading indication, moving map when the “my location” button is selected, fancier buttons/icons and few bugfixes).

Bare in mind that the app is not (yet) to be used for navigation in the air. The reason is that offline charts are not supported (yet).

You may download CryoCharts here. It will be free for as long as it is in Beta mode, which it may get out of whenever I feel I have something worth selling for 3 eurobucks, so get it while you can!

Features lined up in the backlog for future releases:

• Offline charts
  • Numerical heading, speed, altitude indications
  • Loading of flight plans (possibly .gpx files, have any suggestions here?)
  • Graphical interpretation of NOTAMs
  • Graphical interpretation of METARs/TAFs
  • Cloud layer overlay
  • Approach/Departure plates overlay
  • Flight planning (very very far in the future)
  • Rendering machine using AIXM data to replace tiles with vectored charts (like 100 years in the future)

Feedback is welcome, but I reserve the right to completely ignore it without you getting mad

Last Edited by Dimme at 25 Jul 14:39
ESME, ESMS

Numerical heading, speed, altitude indications implemented.

ESME, ESMS

Nice, I guess… No charts for Norway except standard Google maps

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Only the countries supported by OFM are included. If anyone wants to contribute for Norway I can get you in contact with the person in charge.

ESME, ESMS

What is OFM?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

I have been voluntarily working on the Open Flightmaps

Open Flightmaps perhaps ?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

OK, thanks

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Nice work Dimme, keep it going
In regard to OFM it is fantastic that people are engaged in this type of work.
I use some of the OFM as alternative maps and I have downloaded the airspace on another cool app here.
You may get inspired in you future development
As I said keep working with the good work !

ES?? - Sweden

Hej @Thunderstorm18

Thanks for your kind words. I will definitely use your suggestion as an inspiration, I mostly get inspired by what other people have done. I don’t think I’m alone on that

ESME, ESMS
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message