Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Charging iPad, phone etc internationally

From the 5V 2A USB charging thread:

Peter wrote:

2-pin European charger which came with it (which I jam into a UK socket, using a screwdriver in the earth terminal to push down the shutters

In my pre-GPS days, about two years ago, I flew with someone who showed me how good Skydemon was. Until the iPad battery died. The cockpit got a bit stressful, but it was a good lesson not to become over-reliant. We borrowed a mains charger from the firemen after landing and got a partial charge.

I’ve since got a SD subscription, carry a cigar-lighter charger with Apple cable, and always do the route properly on paper and draw a line on the map. I usually keep the ipad closed and Skydemon as a backup or for looking up information, so charging in the plane isn’t a big requirement. Looking at other threads it looks like in-flight charging is very slow, and might cause a battery fire.

Flying longer trips internationally this might be a bit more of a problem if your charger won’t fit into the hotel power outlets, or if you have lots of things to charge (multiple phones, ipads, cameras etc).

I’ve heard horror stories about travel adaptors – not for continuous use or for drawing high current – and wanted something a bit safer and more reliable. What I did was to get a 4-way UK extension lead, remove the UK plug, and wire on the plug used in the destination country. Obviously, substitute UK for your own country
For a European road trip (…I know) last year, France-Switzerland-Liechtenstein-Italy-Slovenia-Croatia-Austria-Germany-Luxembourg-Belgium I made up three of these extensions, one with a Swiss plug (CH LI), one with an Italian plug (IT), and one with a European plug for the rest. They didn’t take up much space and worked very well.

European countries with different type plugs: UK & Ireland, Denmark, Switzerland & Liechtenstein, Italy – full listing.

Another consideration is that countries using North American type plugs (USA, Canada, Japan, Caribbean) are at 100-120 Volts rather than rest of world 220-240 Volts. Depending which way round, equipment will work at half speed or blow up Good news: almost all chargers for electronics have an input of 100-250V, so the charger takes care of the voltage difference for you. I’ve noticed my wife’s travel hairdryer has a switch to change between (from memory) 110V and 220V.

What do other people do?

Italian hotel near Lake Como – the left hand socket also accepts European plugs

Switzerland – socket isn’t obvious so look at the bottle

USA – but beware voltage

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I use a fast charger with 6 USB ports, something like this:

The lead is removable, so it’s very easy to
1) have other leads (I have Euro / US)

2) borrow a lead (from a printer, camera charger etc)

I also carry a USB battery, fully charged-up, in my flight bag. Lifesaver when you need it. Maybe charges faster than the cigar lighter plug.

As an aside, did anyone really smoke in small GA aircraft? Many years ago in Canada I took my boss (an offshore rig manager) flying in my Grumman Tiger. After departure he said " Can I smoke?" as he prepared to light up. I said " OK, but it will plug up the gyros and we will probably crash". The ciggies went back in his pocket

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

NeilC wrote:

did anyone really smoke in small GA aircraft?

When I did my PPL (2007) there was a sort-of-student who came once every six months or so for a ‘first lesson’. She would only fly the PA28, rather than any of the Robins. I was surprised, as the 180hp Piper usually for navigations and going away, rather than basic training. The answer: the PA28 had a storm window. The instructor would take over, put the aircraft into a slip and the student could tap her ash out of the window. The mechanic wasn’t pleased when it came to washing the aircraft.

I’ve never seen/heard anyone else smoking, apart from a sign in a Bonanza saying “smokers please step outside”

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I use the multi output USB charger as Noe in post #2.

It can make you quite popular if sharing an apartment with a few others – with advancing age that is never a bad thing

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message