Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Weekend 21/22 June 2014 Elba LIRJ

The full writeup is now under Articles

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

would the direct operating costs of a Jetprop be lower than your TB20?

No way. The JP is a great aircraft for the capability for the $, but I reckon the DOC would be 2x higher (partly due to the engine fund) and that assumes 100+hrs a year which one is less likely to be doing if the TAS is 2x higher

A TBM about 4x higher though one ought to be able to alleviate that by strict Part 91 maintenance – which almost nobody does on a TBM.

Would the TB20 be able to fill the seats as well on an IFR of 750nm?

Sure… 3 persons and full fuel, some junk (not the whole kitchen sink) and full fuel. Done it many times. The range is 1300-1350nm to zero fuel. Empty weight of a GT is 900kg and max fuel is 86 USG.

I’ll search for a link to LPV approaches on the forum, but aren’t these just a matter of having a WAAs enabled IFR GPS?

You need

• an LPV approach designed and coded into the Jepp GPS database (very rare in Europe)
  • a “W” GPS (430W 530W GTN GNS480)
  • a properly wired autopilot installation which actually flies the LPV GS (one normally has to fake it to look like an ILS)
  • to be legal you need an AFMS authorising LPV to be flown

What you can do a lot more often with a “W” box is to fly the GPS/LNAV+V advisory glideslope, which is a straight line from FAF to MAP, and Jepp coded that for many airports (possibly even Shoreham…?) and it can even be autopilot coupled. That’s nice. But my AP can hold a VS figure so the benefit is arguably marginal… nice to have if you have it.

Last Edited by Peter at 05 Aug 14:53
Administrator

Enjoyed the write up – would the direct operating costs of a Jetprop be lower than your TB20?

Very few GA types would be able to plan this non stop. Would the TB20 be able to fill the seats as well on an IFR of 750nm?

I’ll search for a link to LPV approaches on the forum, but aren’t these just a matter of having a WAAs enabled IFR GPS?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

102€ seems too much

This is the price list. An AOPA card would have reduced the bill by 6,80 Euros:
http://www.elbaisland-airport.it/assets/Tariffe-Voli-Aviazione-Generale-2012-en.pdf

Last Saturday I was there again, dropped five passengers, picked one up and was gone again in less than one hour: 201Euros (but with some tons of aeroplane more than Peter). This time I opted for the passenger friendly landing coming from the sea with a little tailwind (8 kt or so, slightly below our 10kt limit) but that cost us another 100 Euros of brake wear…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks. Nice write up!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

102€ seems too much, even with parking. 60-70 would be more in line. Would you mind posting the invoice?

Did you perhaps not produce your AOPA card to get the reduced fees?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Administrator

Thanks!

Bosco, yes, the Jetprop retains half of the nose baggage compartment of the Mirage and due to the smaller engine, needs to have it further forward for CofG. They also need the compartment for the fuel header tank which helps the fuel temp issues they would have otherwise.

EGTK Oxford

Is the nose actually any longer on the Jetprop than on the Meridian? I wouldn’t know…
I was merely referring to the ugly air intake of the Jeptrop. The Meridian looks much more pleasant in this regard…

48 Posts
Sign in to add your message