Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What are the differences between flying in Europe vs. the USA?

alioth wrote:

In their group owned plane, they only fill in a log at the end, and it’s just the Hobbs time.

I guess that would be for coordination of direct operating expenses within the group. ‘Nobody’ in the US keeps any kind of aircraft flight log for an individually owned aircraft, any more than they would for their car. Naturally however there is an exception, and that’s for aircraft having no Hobbs meter or recording tach in which case I believe its FAA required.

Originally, for example in the original 1946 log for my non-electrical non-time recording aircraft, the airframe time record requirement was satisfied by a single log for flight time and maintenance. Now for the same non-electrical plane people use a dedicated flight log and everybody else uses the Hobbs meter or tach with no written flight record. There is regardless no requirement to record where you’ve been.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Aug 16:28

@Vieke

I would suggest to read up / study:
- airspace and the entry requirements, as has already been said, there are some nuances worth knowing
- the charts, sectionals and TAC

You don’t say where you’ll be flying, but in general you interact a lot more with ATC here than in Europe, especially if you are flying in places like SoCal, FL, or the NY area. A good way way to get up to speed with this is to listen to LiveATC, ideally from the place(s) you will be flying from. Do get Flight Following.

If flying x-country, it’s a good idea to get a briefing from 1-800-WX-BRIEF, where you talk to a live briefer who can also fill you in on active R and MOA zones and TFRs. The latter can be a right rowyl PITA, as they also appear over sporting events and over fires (of which, sadly, we have a lot out here). Get ForeFlight and play around with it a bit to get used to it. If you have X-Plane, you can do this at home, as FF connects to it.

VFR flight plans are – IMHO – only useful if flying over remote areas. Out West there are of course a lot of them, so if you plan to fly out here then it’s a good idea to file one. Be aware, however, that they do not go into the ATC system, you open and close with Flight Service (the 1-800-WX-BRIEF). You can amend or cancel a FP from the air by calling up the nearest FSS, sometimes via voice on a VOR.

In general, flying here is much nicer than in Europe, especially when it comes to services on the ground. Any FBO will book a hotel and rental car for you (they may even have crew cars, FOC) and landing fees are almost non-existent.

It is a great place to fly but personally I find the speed and lack of standard ATC to be the biggest thing I need to adjust to.

Speaking to NY Center vs London Control is a very different experience. But I love flying in the US and i am sure you will too. In general ATC in the US is more helpful particularly if you ask for help.

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Aug 21:06
EGTK Oxford

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

I departed to the NW where it extends down to 3000. I was talking to Miami App who cleared me “direct LBV, 4500 feet”. So I understood that as a clearance to climb into their B.

I make them say the magic words or I will assert it in my readback. Examples “Miami approach, confirm Cessna 12345 is cleared into the class B?” or “Miami approach, Cessna 12345 understand cleared into the class B, direct LBV, maintain four thousand five hundred.” If they don’t object, it is on them. Without the magic words, it is on you. Magic words, “Cleared into the class B”.

KUZA, United States

You live, you learn :-)

I make them say the magic words or I will assert it in my readback

Not just the USA. France does this as standard. You give them a route which goes through CAS. You get a “proceed” or “radar contact” or similar. They don’t “clear” you into CAS and if you query it, they tend to get irritated. The problem is that works … until it doesn’t (you are still on your own when it comes to P and other bits!). I also got such a “clearance” in Italy, only for the next controller to chuck me out of CAS saying I wasn’t cleared into it. One just has to be pro-active, exactly as NCYankee says.

it’s a good idea to get a briefing from 1-800-WX-BRIEF, where you talk to a live briefer who can also fill you in on active R and MOA zones and TFRs

What % of US pilots actually use WX-BRIEF? Back in 2006 it looked like a minority, with most briefing via the internet. It seems a method wide open to mistakes, mishearing your route, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What % of US pilots actually use WX-BRIEF? Back in 2006 it looked like a minority, with most briefing via the internet. It seems a method wide open to mistakes, mishearing your route, etc.

I think it’s a bit like using Olivia….the fact that you got a briefing is on official record…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

… which is of no practical value. I would also stick to where I get the best picture of weather and NOTAMs, which sure isn’t through some old-school phone call…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Aug 07:24
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

An easy and fast way to prepare:

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/flight-review-online-course.html

Or

http://www.kingschools.com/aviation-courses/flight-review-course-bundle

Good starting point and worked for me :)

Last Edited by Jonas at 20 Aug 07:51
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

NCYankee wrote:

The FAA does not require journey logs. Any such requirement would be from your home country.

As I wrote, they’re US pilots. Flying US registered metal for US based operators. I guess they play with plotting and master documents just for fun and their flight departments keep those records so they can fill some empty space. Frankly, I’m not sure what standing ACs have, but I can find out for you which one it is if you want (I don’t think there’ll be that many about international operations).

Last Edited by Martin at 20 Aug 10:27
Sign in to add your message