Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What are the differences between flying in Europe vs. the USA?

I flew to Canada from the US with a N-reg rented airplane. I remember I had to get a FCC radio station license for the airplane, but there was no requirement for a journey log. Flying a N-reg in Europe you do need a journey log as required by ICAO implemented as EASA regulations.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 20 Aug 12:36
LFPT, LFPN

… which are not yet in effect in most places of Europe…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

What % of US pilots actually use WX-BRIEF? Back in 2006 it looked like a minority, with most briefing via the internet. It seems a method wide open to mistakes, mishearing your route, etc.

Most pilots use other means such as DUATS, fltplan.com, or a EFB such as ForeFlight to obtain a briefing most of the time, but there are those that are not tech savvy that use the phone. Some simply prefer talking to an experienced briefer. There are occasions where internet is not available and even I will call.

KUZA, United States

AnthonyQ wrote:

the fact that you got a briefing is on official record

Online services all keep a briefing record. ForeFlight keeps a copy of the briefing and a copy is emailed to the pilot for his records when the flightplan is filed.

KUZA, United States

Martin wrote:

As I wrote, they’re US pilots. Flying US registered metal for US based operators. I guess they play with plotting and master documents just for fun and their flight departments keep those records so they can fill some empty space. Frankly, I’m not sure what standing ACs have, but I can find out for you which one it is if you want (I don’t think there’ll be that many about international operations).

The OP asks:

my question is: what are the big differences between Europe and USA (in specific for PPL, VFR flying, that I should know about?

What a certified operator requires is governed by the regulations, Opspecs and company policy and has nothing to do with the question asked by the OP. There is no requirement for a journey log for general aviation pilots in the US. Searching the FAR’s and AIM for usage of the terms Journey and flight log yields no matches. Logging for pilots is fully covered in 61.51 and aircraft maintenance logs are fully covered in part 43 and 91.417.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Most pilots use other means such as DUATS, fltplan.com, or a EFB such as ForeFlight to obtain a briefing most of the time, but there are those that are not tech savvy that use the phone. Some simply prefer talking to an experienced briefer. There are occasions where internet is not available and even I will call.

LOL, I would consider myself pretty tech savvy, but talking to a briefer has its advantages. First of all, for long x-country in remote areas (which tends to be any long x-country for me), I can file a FP at the same time as speaking to the briefer. Second, especially during fire season out here, they sometimes have TFR info before FF has it. Thirdly – and in marginal wx situations most importantly – they have the PIREPS and, as I already said, last-minute info on ‘hot’ mil areas, which also is an issue in my part of the world. If I don’t file a FP or for local(ish) flights I use FF.

Thanks a lot for all the tips, I know again what to do! :-)

Tomorrow I will answer the questions and give some more information

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Vieke,

When I first flew in the USA, I found these two books useful.

ASA Guide to the BFR

VFR Radio Procedures in the USA

I’ve no idea how well they’ve been updated, but pass it along as no one else seems to have mentioned any useful book.

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Ok,

I had not yet the time to read everything on this moment, but I will do it later this week for sure.

Somebody asked for the plans: well, they are not clear yet. Everything is still an option, this evening we will make the rough plans and then I know more. But on this moment I want to do the following for sure:
- New York Skyline by night – the scenic route. :-)
I prefer to do the checkout of the piggyback license there during the day and after that, take the plane during the night for the stunning view. On my EASA license I have a night rating, so I assume if I make it current it will also be ok for the FAA or do I need to do something extra for this? (Otherwise I will take a safetypilot from the training center)
- Probably (but not sure yet), we will hop to Arizona/Phoenix or the west coast after NY, to visit friends and I also want to visit the Grand Canyon I think (It is yelling to me to visit as a matter of speaking ;-) ). I hope to find a day for flying and maybe we can visit a few interesting spots from the air. Or do a hop with the plane instead of a few hours driving. The plans are not at all finalized yet, so If you have tips for interesting places I am happy to hear.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Sounds exciting! One thing to consider, though: if you rent at multiple places, you will have to do a checkout at each and every one of them. The only way around this would be to go with these people, although I’m not sure they accept a 61.75 license.

40 Posts
Sign in to add your message