Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What are your partial panel skills like?

Tumbleweed wrote:

Limited Panel is loss of Gyro instruments and is in the IR syllabus.

If you do your whole IR on a glass cockpit, where the standby instrument is an electrical horizon, are you supposed to change planes for this lesson or are you allowed to substitute it with realistic failure modes for the type of aircraft you’re learning on?

These old aircraft like yours often also suffer from worn out gyros. I have started my IFR career in an aircraft equipped like this and the turn coordinator was bouncing like you said. That is not due to the weather but to the worn out gyro.

True Achim, but actually, the TC on this one isn’t real bad and shaky. It’s just that it was really quite turbulent, so the indication bounced back and forth a little, making interpretation a bit more difficult.

Partial Panel is loss of Pressure instruments and is not in the EASA syllabus.

@Tumbleweed
You mean an IR student (flying a sick-pack aircraft) does not learn how to fly the aircraft without both the AI and DG (which are normally those powered by vacuum)? Why not? That’s a very common scenario, as these pumps give roughly every 500 hours or so…
Also, never heard the term “pressure instruments”. Vacuum instruments if anything…

Limited Panel is loss of Gyro instruments and is in the IR syllabus.

You mean loss of ONE gyro instrument at a time, or all of them (AI, DG and TC) at the same time? The former is a joke, the latter is impossible to fly…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Nov 20:43
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Replying to the OP: I don’t think there is a magic solution. About 99% of my FAA IR was done partial panel (AI and DI covered up) and 100% of the checkride was done thus. You just focus on the TC and the altimeter, and occassionally glance at the liquid compass, and make brief adjustments to the heading. I was flying 2x a day for 2 weeks and was utterly shagged every day

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oh, and by coincidence, VERY much on topic, this was published yesterday:

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

The former is a joke, the latter is impossible to fly…

If you have a pendulum, you might try to save your skin with it. Not that beautiful, but better than nothing.

But in these days, I guess every phone / tablet has sufficient capabilities to show orientation well enough to survive.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

If you have a pendulum, you might try to save your skin with it. Not that beautiful, but better than nothing.

That has no chance of working. It is just as bad as nothing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

That has no chance of working. It is just as bad as nothing.

Actually, it works surprisingly well. Of course you don’t let it just hang, but similar to the Foucault pendulum you need to let it swing and it will turn out of direction, as soon as the plane turns. And with the ball centered, the plane just turns when the wing drops…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

“always to the West” …

(Le professeur Tournesol in Secret of the Unicorn)
(sorry, I resisted for over an hour, nah, half an hour then …)

Last Edited by at 19 Nov 13:04
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Rwy20 wrote:

If you do your whole IR on a glass cockpit, where the standby instrument is an electrical horizon, are you supposed to change planes for this lesson or are you allowed to substitute it with realistic failure modes for the type of aircraft you’re learning on?

I did and “partial panel” is taught in a way specific to the avionics. Mine was a Cirrus Perspective (G1000) and the MFD and PFD got turned off (dimmed to black) and so I had to fly by using the backup instruments in the lower half of the panel. However, there is a lot of redundancy and so it’s not that likely you will loose the vital instruments completely.

During the exam the examiner also wanted to see “partial panel” and had a bit of a hard time to get the system to fail.

Frequent travels around Europe

Same for me Stephan, but before admitting on a forum that my IR training left out part of the syllabus, I wanted to pose the question in a more general way… apparently nobody wants to or can answer it though.

It just doesn’t make sense to want to fly “partial panel” on a G1000 Cirrus. You can simulate different boxes failing which will X out different parts of the screen, but that isn’t the same as flying with a TC and ball for hours in IMC I would think.

That is also why I would not want to fly IFR on classical instruments before receiving the appropriate additional training.

Sign in to add your message