Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What became of the Evektor Cobra?

There was some noise about this aircraft (factory homepage, wikipedia entry) 6 or 7 years ago. Obviously, nothing his happened since then.
Does anyone have more information?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I think it’s clear that Evektor could not afford to even build the prototype to a good standard, let alone get anywhere near getting it certified.

The one they showed at AERO (2007 or 2008?) looked pretty rough. It hasn’t been there since.

I think that building another SR22-market and SR22-priced (presumably) plane but without the chute is a dead end, marketing-wise.

I think a TB20-like plane (which the Cobra is, essentially) and priced at about €300k would sell well, and it isn’t obvious to me why that can’t be done, with simple IFR avionics, but nobody is doing it. But then Cirrus killed all the people who might have had a go at it. And if the plane doesn’t have the glitz (which the Cobra would not have) then there is always a used TB20GT at about €150k, tops…

Last Edited by Peter at 25 Apr 12:02
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A friend of mine works with Evektor as a consultant, and if there are any specific questions about Cobra, I can ask him. We briefly talked about it, and I know that Cobra is actually being produced, and appears to be a fantastic machine, although not quite the dream of today’s average buyer of new aircraft – that is, more like Maule or Gippsland than Cirrus or Diamond. Even Evektor seems to be looking more for business sales than personal ones – for example, one of available Cobra configurations is an air ambulance.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I think a TB20-like plane (which the Cobra is, essentially) and priced at about €300k would sell well, and it isn’t obvious to me why that can’t be done, with simple IFR avionics

First of all, nobody is buying aircraft with “simple IFR avionics”. See the market.

Second: a modern, certified, retractable four seat tourer for 300k€ is a pipe dream. I can’t prove it, but, if nobody does it, then I assume it’s safe to say it is impossible.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Apr 12:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Nobody is buying them because they don’t exist. The whole market has gone for maximum glitz, maximally-packed instrument panels, and that is how you get a $750k price.

Going for the cream on top, and making fresh cream regularly, is usually a good policy (Cirrus have done well out of it) but it is vulnerable to a market downturn (look at recent Cirrus sales figures).

I don’t think a €300k “TB20” is a pipe dream. Can anyone throw in some OEM prices for the main parts? An IO540 is about $40k.

No matter how you add it up, there is a very large chunk of direct labour so, largely, it comes down to the “work ethic” of the country where you build it, though that can be alleviated by suitable automation (press tools, for a start) and contracting out suitable parts (standardised wiring harnesses made in China, etc).

Ultimately nobody is going to fund the certification of a plane whose only USP is better value for money.

I know that Cobra is actually being produced

You mean they got it certified under Part 23? If so, they’ve kept that very quiet… How much is it and what do you get?

Last Edited by Peter at 25 Apr 12:44
Administrator

I am sure it’s not that people don’t buy simple avionics because there are no offerings. Every aircraft producer has various avionics equipment options to choose from, usually with a “basic” configuration of steam gauges, no autopilot, etc.

But still nobody chooses that!

Reason: anyone finally fulfilling his life long dream of a new, own, certified aircraft (i.e. paying 400k, 600k or 800k) will not – for the sake of saving 50 or 80k – go with “simple” avionics. People just love glass, synvis, traffic and digital autopilots. It also has to do with resale value, but the main point is: people want it. Buyers just aren’t that “rational”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Apr 12:49

I agree about lack of rationality but if I was faced with say an SR22 for $750 with all the goodies, or $700k with half the goodies, I would go for the $750k. Obviously “I have” a lot more than $750k otherwise I would not be looking at them in the first place. Same with cars.

But we are talking about almost half that price.

Another problem is that new plane sales are very low now so nobody is going to have a go anyway.

I think one could have dragged the TB20 back out but very reliable information I have is that Socata were not interested in letting go of the parts business, without which it is a non-starter because you would get shafted on parts pricing (it would be like pumping UK Govt money into De Lorean, after the guy had retained sole marketing rights for the USA and controlled the transfer price ).

Administrator

But we are talking about almost half that price.

But not just by choosing “simple IFR avionics” instead of the “premium IFR package”…

A PFD nowadays costs little more than six instruments.
An Aspen costs little more than an HSI.
An Avidyne digital AP costs little more than a King.
Etc.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Apr 13:09

I saw one of prototypes yesterday on the apron and still have some insights there based on previous engagements:
There are 2 prototypes build (OK-EVE (200HP) , OK-RAF (300HP) ) and one pre-production example OK-MHI – pictured in the link above. The testing is progressing somehow but definitely not in full power. I think they are still searching for someone to partner to start the serial production. Does it has chance to succeed ? I can´t say. It flies really nicely according to /unformal, not marketing/ talk with test pilot….
about the raw finish mentioned by Peter – I wouldn´t be worried too much, it was just prototyp serving engineering purposes. Evektor/Aerotechnik can make nice interior – look at EV-97s…

LKKU, LKTB

But not just by choosing “simple IFR avionics” instead of the “premium IFR package”…

No, which is why throwing in some plausible OEM costs for the various bits doesn’t add up to anywhere near say $750k. Where the rest goes, is a good question. And it isn’t cert costs or product liability insurance

Last time I did this I got something like 60-70% gross profit, out of which you have to pay for direct labour, admin, etc.

Also dealers get a slice. Air Touring used to get 15% dealer margin. No idea what Cirrus dealers get, but probably similar, or slightly higher.

Administrator
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message