Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do you know about Cessna T303 Crusader (+ other Cessna twins)

The Crusader is often cited as the “best” or most “advanced” of the Cessna twins and that these advances were a result of learning and evolution from the previous twins (310, 340, 421).

But does anyone have an specifics on where the 303 was an improvement on its predecessors? Is it just improved aerodynamics? Other systems?

It’s a shame they didn’t make a pressurised version.

what_next wrote:

Unpressurised (a C340 can be found for the same price, has the same fuel consumption, is faster, is pressurised but needs a little more runway)

ortac wrote:

The Crusader is often cited as the “best” or most “advanced” of the Cessna twins

How do the 303 and the 340 compare? The 340 has a pressurized cabin and according to @what_next it is faster, same fuel consumption. What is better in the 303?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

What is better in the 303?

Short field / unprepared runway capability. Ease of handling. Less complicated and error prone systems (especially the fuel system). Maybe a little more payload, but I don’t have any figures here to prove that.

I know at least two people who upgraded from C303 to C340, but nobody who went the other way.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

upgraded from C303 to C340

So even though the C303 is quoted as having all Cessna learned from the previous models (including the C340), the C340 would still be an “upgrade”, i.e. better? I am asking because there is an option for a C303 but I was thinking of a C340 as an alternative.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

what_next seems to have nailed the advantages of the 303 perfectly.

The 340 needs a lot of runway, and I understand on a typical 40 year old airframe the pressurisation runs out of poop around FL180. Keeping the fuel system plumbing in tip top condition, and understanding how it works is also a feature.

The average 303 seem to be well utilised and well maintained, indicating the owners regard them as keepers.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Isn’t the upkeep of a C340 way more expensive than that of a C303? What costs are to expected with a C303?

I haven’t flown any of them, but the moment I win the lottery a G600/GTN750 C303 will be mine

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

@Vladimir : Are you aware of the Twin Cessna Flyer Organisation? Their president is flying a C303 IIRC.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Vladimir wrote:

What is better in the 303?

Better handling, newer design, lower maintenance cost, better short field performance, able to use grass runways

Last Edited by Neil at 12 Apr 09:03
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Vladimir wrote:

the C340 would still be an “upgrade”, i.e. better?

For passenger comfort it is a lot better. Passengers don’t like unpressurised aircraft (me neither). Either you have to fly low in turbulence, clouds, around airspaces, etc. or you have tubes sticking out of your nose. Not much of a problem for pilots and their family members, but your colleagues will do it only once when you take them for a business trip. Thereafter they will join the queue at Easyjet more happy then ever before.

EDDS - Stuttgart

blueline wrote:

Are you aware of the Twin Cessna Flyer Organisation?

No, I was not. Thanks for the link!

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message