Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do you write on?

Finners wrote:

Pen and paper on my kneeboard. As much as I like my technology, I don’t plan on changing that. I always have at least two pens, and a backup pencil. I still use a printed plog, really for gross error checks and timekeeping and then a blank sheet of paper for notes, ATIS, clearances, etc.

Same here except that instead of a printed PLOG and a blank sheet of paper, I use the Autorouter PLOG which has fields for notes and ATIS so I do not need a separate sheet of paper for notes.

LFPT, LFPN

If you mishear a frequency, you flip-flop back to the previous and ask. You hear it happening all the time.

I would say that it reduces the chance of error to literally say to ATC the numbers as you type them in (obviously I am talking GTN here.)

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

I would say that it reduces the chance of error to literally say to ATC the numbers as you type them in (obviously I am talking GTN here.)

The added benefit of keeping a written trace of the frequencies is that in case your radio dies, you have a trace of the last frequency that you can enter into your other radio.

LFPT, LFPN

Which is not the case with GNS or G1000.

Plus if you get few more things to read back (like clearance) then it’s not the frequency that you’ll read back first. So I don’t see setting it on radio as replacement for writing it down.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Aviathor wrote:

The added benefit of keeping a written trace of the frequencies is that in case your radio dies, you have a trace of the last frequency that you can enter into your other radio.

That would justify the use of 121,5 MHz to get in touch again. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

I agree that if the frequency is part of a clearance I would write it down, but that is normally on the ground, in response to “are you ready to copy your clearance.” I struggle to think of another time when a frequency is not standalone (unless you include “contact nn nn with your heading”.

The failure case would be an argument for writing everything on paper (the iPad might equally die), but is sufficiently rare for me to worry about it when it happens. My last complete radio failure where I couldn’t read the screen was about 4,500 hours ago.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

I agree that if the frequency is part of a clearance I would write it down,

That was the case I was referring to, not doing it in flight

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I write on the navlog piece of paper I have printed for the specific flight. I then put it in the map holder by my knee. I sit high up in the C172 and a kneeboard obstructs the yoke’s full movement. But I do mostly short flights (up to 200NM) and everything fits in one page if I “shrink to fit” (eyesight is good).

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

At work I write on paper clipped onto an A4 kneeboard. We have to (there needs to be a real signature somewhere) but I think that even if it was optional I would still stick with it.
When instructing I use my iPad. There’s not much I need to write down for me and the limited space in the typical training aircraft is too precious to be wasted with paper.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Timothy wrote:

I agree that if the frequency is part of a clearance I would write it down, but that is normally on the ground, in response to “are you ready to copy your clearance.” I struggle to think of another time when a frequency is not standalone (unless you include “contact nn nn with your heading”.

Agree again with @Timothy. If it’s part of a longer clearance, then I’ll write it (on paper). Actually, I used to write it all down and found that I made more mistakes copying it and then inputting it than inputting it during readback.

Sign in to add your message