Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do you write on?

I struggle to think of another time when a frequency is not standalone (unless you include “contact nn nn with your heading”.

Something that happens when you fly in areas with bad reception e.g. “Direct to xxxx report 10 miles inbound xxxx, in case of no communication switch to xxx.xx”.

Or clearance on the ground followed by immediate switch to radar frequency when airborn (usually written on plates but sometimes ATC includes it in clearance).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Something that happens when you fly in areas with bad reception e.g. “Direct to xxxx report 10 miles inbound xxxx, in case of no communication switch to xxx.xx”.

Or clearance on the ground followed by immediate switch to radar frequency when airborn (usually written on plates but sometimes ATC includes it in clearance).

Yeah. Both of those get written down, for sure. The second is part of the clearance as I described, but the first is one that I had forgotten about, as I have rarely encountered it.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Follow up question: how many pens do you drop during the average flight???

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Zero. And I have never dropped my iPad either.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Although my pen drop rate is not as good as whatnext’s it is low enough that I use pen and paper nearly always, whether instructing or not. I have tried both handwriting and typing on the iPad, and I am just not comfortable with it.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

That is a very good question. When I flew the SR22 I lost lots of pens due to the tight space in the front seats, and on top of that, they were very hard to pick back up. With the Columbia 400 I do not drop pens anymore, neither do I in the DA40 or DA42.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 22 Sep 16:27
LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

When I flew the SR22 I lost lots of pens due to the tight space in the front seats, and on top of that, they were very hard to pick back up.

That’s Murphy’s law of course. The only time an aircraft key fell out of my pocket (and the last time because since that day I don’t put keys in my pockets any more) was in a Cessna 421 which had a gap between the floor panels underneath the pilot’s seat. Of course the key vanished through that gap. It took a mechanic two hours to retrieve it from there. Of course it would have been a lot cheaper to leave it where it was and get another one made. But with all the control cables and stuff down there I wanted to play it safe…

Last Edited by what_next at 22 Sep 16:33
EDDS - Stuttgart

For Foreflight which has a scratch pad where you can use a keyboard, this app is pretty good: "Foreflight keyboard ":FFKeyboard – An Aviation Keyboard for ForeFlight by Morgan Surgical Consulting, PLLC https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ffkeyboard-an-aviation-keyboard-for-foreflight/id1202674424?mt=8 https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ffkeyboard-an-aviation-keyboard-for-foreflight/id1202674424?mt=8

EGTF, LFTF

Timothy wrote:

If you mishear a frequency, you flip-flop back to the previous and ask. You hear it happening all the time.

I would say that it reduces the chance of error to literally say to ATC the numbers as you type them in (obviously I am talking GTN here.)

And these days, unless you’re stuck with some antique wireless set that should be in a junk shop, it will display the station name. If it says Popham when you were expecting Doncaster, that’s a fair hint that something’s not quite right.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

it will display the station name

Going off at a slight tangent; the other day I was flying back from Belgium towards, ironically, JACKO, when neither radio identified the Brussels frequencies, but they did identify London when I was changed over.

Does anyone know the exact derivation of the station ident? Is it a database associated with GPS position and DOC, or is it transmitted RDS style?

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message